Search
  • Paul Knappenberger

Curia Notes 2012

1/17/2012

Officer Reports:

Baron and Baroness: Had some people ask about starting dancing again - how do we restart it again and make it fun? And not too stuffy? We need a space and someone who can teach it. We've been getting more award recommendations - thank you! Keep your eyes open for new sites. Regular practices at the colleges will be starting soon, which is a good chance to broaden our horizons and recruit new folks. Flesh Wound is coming soon, and we'd like to make a good showing. (It's on our lands and we've never seen any compensation for it.) Also, we would like to request some support for awards - largesse and tokens would be most welcome. (Scroll blanks, trinkets, whatever would be cool.)

Webminister: Not much is different from last month. Read the Tower!

Chatelaine: Nothing to report.

Exchequer: Boar's Head report is done. We still have money. Will be stepping down in April - please send letters of intent to Baron, Baroness, Seneschal, and Exchequer.

QuarterMaster: Will be stepping down in April.

Herald: Had three people approach me with devices (two) and names (one) which had been rejected, and they want to re-submit. Anbjorn has been transferring things to me (like the library), but he will be running the Heraldic Day Moot in February. If anyone wants to work on names, devices, or whatever, talk to Kateryn.

Chronicler: Handing office over to Tatiana. Send articles and reports by Jan 22.

Knights Marshal: Akira is the new Knights Marshal. Practices at Stritch, Sundays 1-4. Monday 1/23 at Bucketworks, 6:30-9:30. Marquette starts again 1/30, 7-9.

Archery: Monday nights at West Town. Come shoot!

Seneschal: Read the Tower.


Old Business:

Border Skirmish: Astrid is meeting with Ravenslake regarding offices and positions and locking in prices for things like portapotties. We have signed the contract with Walworth County Fairgrounds.


New Business:

Heraldic Project Day: This is to encourage more usage and display of heraldic materials - banners, devices, crests, etc. It's February 18 from 11-6 at Cardinal Stritch. We'll have classes about silk banners, the submission process, conflicts, and the heraldic library. If you want to see or learn anything specific, please ask Arnbjorn and he'll arrange it. Come play!

Heritage Weekend Demo: Lisbon (near Murton) has a living history weekend, which draws re-enactors from a really wide variety of living history groups (from the Romans to Vietnam). Are we interested in joining them for a demo weekend? Aug 11-12 (the last weekend of Pennsic). Camping is allowed, but encampments must be period during 'public' hours (8:30-4:30). Period dress only during that time - nothing non-period can be visible. This is open to any living history group.

Yule Moot: Let's move it to January. Katarina will be the moot steward. Location is TBD.

Metal Working Moot/"Bring Your Own Fire Moot": Sometime in Spring or Summer. A chance to work with smithing, forging, pewter casting, glass work, lampwork, etc. Need a location, which should be outside (though we need cover for some demonstrations). Possible locations - Little Aaron has a shop with a forge and plenty of outdoor space. Maybe the local colleges have space? What about Bucketworks?

African Dance: Nikea is offering a class starting in late February which will meet twice a month.

A&S 50 Challenge: There's an A&S 50 Challenge, to celebrate the SCA's 50th anniversary. People are encouraged to learn or do 50 new things, do 50 of the same thing, or do 50 things your persona would do. We should participate and keep a record, which we could post on the website (with pictures).

Equipment needs for the Barony: Kateryn purchased some walkie-talkies for the Barony and would like to be reimbursed. Voted and approved.

Boar's Head 2012 Scheduling: Washington County only has one building available on Dec 1 (the first weekend in December), so Nikea has requested that they pencil us in for Dec 8 weekend. Also, they have raised their prices - this year cost $3850 for both buildings, next year will be $3400 for one building, plus $.50 per person, plus $100 per hour for the cherry-picker to hang banners. We should look at alternate sites - Waukesha County, for instance, which has better kitchens now. Arnbjorn will look into Waukesha County, Kateryn will look into another possibility, and they will bring their findings back to the group.

Boar's Head 2012 - Change it up!: Boar's Head is boring. What would make it more fun (for non-fighters)? Classes that are more workshoppy - look at the Northshield Artisans Database. Dancing. A pub (the Pickled Pig!) - what does a liquor license cost? Games. Taverns for lunch. What about switching the schedule around - feast and court in the beginning of the day, fighting in the afternoon? Note: TeslaCon is December 1. Should that make a difference to us? This will all be discussed more online.


Guilds and Groups:

Cooking and Herbal Guild: Nikea will come up with something in the next month or two.

Brewing and Vinting: Katarina would like to start this group again in a few months.

Marquette: Practice starts again on January 30 from 7-9. O-Fest is Thursday January 20. Four of the Marquette students are going to Gulf Wars and want someone to camp near - to whom should they speak about camping with Northshield? They will have new officers after Spring Break.

Stritch: We're back! Practice started this past Sunday and will continue to be Sundays from 1-4. They have the site for Curia reserved. Coronation at Stritch might actually cost money - apparently the school had underestimated the size of the event. Curia needs to know how much money that will be so that we can include that in the bid to the Stallari. All set for the Heraldic Moot. They also have an organization-fest kind of thing - they'll let us know when and where so that we can come play.

--------------------

02/12/2012 - Emergency meeting on a Sunday to decide a special issue


MAIN TOPIC


This meeting was held to dicuss a Baronial payment and possible donation; read on. A couple of other unrelated topics were briefly touched on, since we happened to be together, but that was the reason for the meeting and main topic of discussion.


The following is quoted from

<a href="www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlementannouncement1.doc">www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlementannouncement1.doc</a> - <a href="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=www.sca.org%2Fbod%2Fannouncements%2Fsettlementfaq.doc&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQxQEwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fviewer%3Fa%3Dv%26q%3Dcache%3AgfNmXJHPkpwJ%3Awww.sca.org%2FBOD%2Fannouncements%2FsettlementFAQ.doc%2Bwww.sca.org%2FBOD%2Fannouncements%2FsettlementFAQ.doc%26hl%3Den%26gl%3Dus%26pid%3Dbl%26srcid%3DADGEEShovYmnhxqmXc4zkHwkrq_rbMSDHTh1-r7tJCtclTJPLvWGBO38LdX8Y5if4R3Q_tfDbjTufyv5btxy4E93ceQm9l--iSLeUG4S3pN_vn4DA6aMfwYrhhWz3WviD1FhQm3mTU6e%26sig%3DAHIEtbQRjvd6dft9wuy1xt-cxAx_jfBJpg&ei=eao-T-6lJY6G0QHo-aWwBw&usg=AFQjCNGvCD_vFrLYBXpmogIjcpkuv4J5Kg&cad=rja">Google Quick View</a>

and

<a href="www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlementFAQ.doc">www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlementFAQ.doc</a> - <a href="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=site%3Asca.org+lawsuit&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CD8QxQEwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fviewer%3Fa%3Dv%26q%3Dcache%3AgfNmXJHPkpwJ%3Awww.sca.org%2FBOD%2Fannouncements%2FsettlementFAQ.doc%2Bsite%3Asca.org%2Blawsuit%26hl%3Den%26gl%3Dus%26pid%3Dbl%26srcid%3DADGEEShovYmnhxqmXc4zkHwkrq_rbMSDHTh1-r7tJCtclTJPLvWGBO38LdX8Y5if4R3Q_tfDbjTufyv5btxy4E93ceQm9l--iSLeUG4S3pN_vn4DA6aMfwYrhhWz3WviD1FhQm3mTU6e%26sig%3DAHIEtbSlVlGY2ZF2fNDHQg89_PO3FOv3RA&ei=7aY-T42hHon10gGdr6GnBw&usg=AFQjCNFY1u5ygUdWo1eQMnff9KSBTmLaxQ&cad=rja">Google Quick View</a>:

<p style="border-style:solid;border-width:1px;">"The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (SCA) has been operating under the burden of a massive and difficult legal battle that has critically drained resources and caused significant ongoing difficulties for the organization. In October 2011, the board of the SCA and its legal counsel were finally able to resolve this issue, but not without significant financial costs."


We will not try to elaborate further in these notes, so that we can avoid accidental misinformation or misunderstanding. If you wish more information and detail, follow the links above, which take you to documents hosted on the SCA's official website.


The important thing to know for the purpose of understanding these notes and the reason for this meeting is that the SCA has financial debt which it can only meet by using money from all of its branches; money belonging to any part of the SCA does belong to the SCA. To meet their obligation, the SCA requires a fixed percentage from each branch of any level (essentially, from each SCA bank account). Each Kingdom must send the total due for itself and all of its branches, and may collect that money in any way which it sees fit. Our Kingdom, Northshield, will pay the total amount out of its coffers, and asks all of its groups to pay what it can of their own calculated debt, but not to pay more than what they can afford to spare. If a group can pay its full amount, great; if it can pay extra to help offset another group's portion, great. But we're told that no group should leave itself without enough money to conduct its business. We had this meeting for the officers and anyone else in the Barony interested in discussing our group's payment.


On the Wednesday before the meeting, our Baron and Baroness participated in a conference call with the King and Queen, Northshield's other Baronage, and the Stallari Council. If you send a personal donation to the Kingdom, it will lessen the amount the Kingdom has to pay; if you send to corporate, it will not lessen the *Kingdom* burden, but will go to help offset corporate costs. The SCA had policies with two insurance companies to cover debt of the current sort, one of which eventually paid. The SCA's lawyers are confident that we will eventually win a lawsuit to make the second insurance company pay on its policy, and if and when they do, the SCA will distribute any recovered monies back to the Kingdoms; and Northshield will make sure that local groups get their monies back before the Kingdom confers are refilled. The SCA and Northshield's leaders want to make sure that all people understand what is happening. The King and Queen prefer that you send any private donations to Northshield or your local group to help cover those expenses. [Note that the branch payments in total were calculated to pay the SCA's total remaining debt from the settlement, so "extra donations beyond the branch contributions" should not be necessary for these legal costs; thus, your donations through your local group or Kingdom will help offset their expenses -- and if moneys they donated are refunded, your money has become a donation to your group or Kingdom, rather than being distributed throughout the Society. The Board of Directors (BOD) also suggests that private donations go to Kingdoms or local groups, in <a href="http://mailman.northshield.org/public/northshield/2012-February/042658.html">this short letter</a>.]


As the group at this meeting was talking about donating extra money to help defray costs for less-rich groups, Dahrien suggested that we should be sure to hold in reserve at least enough to cover our three upcoming events: Youth Event, Border Skirmish and Boar's Head. Exchequer Magnus said he thought that we only need to cover the first two, since those will bring in money to help with the third, and he thinks we would be okay. Boar's Head deposit is $2,000 (erring on the side of caution), and the others are about $1,000 for the Youth Event and about $3,000 for Border Skirmish. So, basically, keeping approximately $6,000 on hand would be good in the Seneschal's eyes.


The group decided to pay our own full amount and donate an additional $2,220, for a total of $6,200; the donation amount will cover payments for the next four smallest group payments not already covered by Nordskogen (plus a few cents), those being:


Group Debt

Shattered Oak $610.50

Trewint/Western Keep $609.76

Tor Aerie (Nordskogen) $570.49

Rokeclif $428.55

TOTAL: $2,219.30





Miscellaneous ...


There have been corporate charges. Youth now has its own director. They are pushing for stronger presence of youth and looking for youth officers.


President of the SCA has two directives:

#1 HAVE FUN. This is a game, have fun.

#2 Make the game fun for everyone: youth, fighters, non fighters, everyone.


All contracts have to go through the Seneschal, and the Seneschal has to go over every word, to make sure that they all fit guidelines.


Currently there are 13 subsidiaries of the SCA (Like SCA WI, Inc), and they are shooting to get 55 over the next couple of years.




Curia Meetings Will Remain On Tuesdays


END RESULT OF THIS ITEM IS NO CHANGE.


Cardinal Stritch group is moving fighting practice to Tuesdays (see Calendar). They said that they would cancel on nights that there was Curia, or schedule for later, if we wanted. They are planning longer practice hours than other weeknight practices, anyway, from 7-11pm; and Curia always ends earlier than that.


The question was asked, "Should we move Curia to a different day?" Magnus and Corin both state that there are plenty of practices, and Curia is important and needs to stay on the same night and time. Dahrien agreed, and others did as well, and it was decided that Curia will remain on Tuesdays.

--------------------

2/21/2012

Officer Reports:

Baron and Baroness: We had an emergency Curia meeting to discuss the settlement, and that's all taken care of. Thank you all for your support, financial and otherwise. There are lots of things coming up. Thank you, Arnbjorn, for the Heraldry Moot. Keep up the good work!

Chatelaine: Read the Tower.

Exchequer: Having paid our portion of the settlement, the checking account is too low to handle the payments we anticipate for the next year. We also have money in a money market account. Recommend moving the money from the money market account to either a Not-For-Profit Savings Account or to the primary checking account. (Interest in the money market is roughly 1.5%, interest in an NPF Savings Account would be .1%.) We voted to move the money from the money market to the primary checking account. Another thing: Should we allow electronic transfers into our checking account, for purposes of donations? Recommendation: let's look into ACCEPS (which sca.org uses), PayPal, and standard electronic transfer. Also, the Exchequer office is going to be open soon. Please send letters of intent to the Seneschal, Baron & Baroness, and Exchequer.

Herald: Had a great Heraldic Moot. Almost finished my banner! Lots of people learned about (and tried) silk painting, lots of people spent time with the book heralds, and Guinevere's class was very informative. Now we all know the difference between a tabard and a surcoat! In other news, I'm your new Herald, having received the badge of office.

Minister of Children: Has sent in the background check paperwork.

Chronicler: Deadline for new Tower submissions is next Sunday, Feb 26. Please send them in on time, with a subject line that indicates that your email is for the Tower. Anyone can write articles or submit photos or art. We want to get a count of how many people actually read the Tower online; if people aren't reading it every month maybe we don't have to publish it that often.

Web Minister: Term of office expires in May. Willing to continue if people want me to, or to step down, or to keep doing the work while someone else holds the title and attends meetings and turns in reports. Note: Web Minister does not have an active deputy. Check on the website to find out when officers' terms are expiring.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: Typhaine is the new deputy. She'd like to hold another chausses/cotehardies day in March, possibly 3/10 or 3/31. Also, we'll be having a Metal Working Moot, but it won't be safe for children. It'll be the first weekend in May at a shop near Capitol and Port Washington.

Knights Marshal: Armored combat is in good health so far. We have two weekly practices hosted by the colleges, and I am continuing to work with Bucketworks to secure availability for additional practices. (We have some great talent in our area and to make the most of it lots of practice is required by those with the desire to achieve their best. It is my goal to secure 3+ slots of martial arts training to be available to local SCA martial artists. Some of the SCA 'Legends' achieved their status by being able to practice 4-5 times a week. I want that kind of opportunity for all our local fighters.) I will be meeting with the new head of Bucketworks (Tim Syth) - James (the previous head of Bucketworks) is now leading a different larger aspect of the organization. Tim likes the ideas I have brought forth to him, and later this week we will be meeting in person to go over some more options. This includes continued 'free use' of space for small groups under the Angry Young Men, Limited membership, but I will also be discussing what options would be ($) for the local fighter base to have its own membership (and its own keys, and dedicated space beyond just available open space) as well as a general fitness area in Bucketworks. While I strongly support the college practices and am grateful for them, I believe finding an indoor site that is control of the local SCA fighters year-round - either as a group of individuals (as per the old key site) or through Baronial support (which I wouldn't turn down, but neither expect) - is the best way to grow the local fighter base in both quality and quantity. Having our own keys and dedicated space would mean 24/7 access, as long as one of the two keyholders could be there. Options for additional keyholders may be possible as well.

Seneschal: See the Tower.


Old Business:

Boar's Head 2012: We had decided last year that BH2012 would be run by the officers of Curia. We have received a bid from some other interested folks (Julianna and Tatiana). The Curia voted to make them the event stewards and shelve the existing plans for the event. Note: Boar's Head will be December 8 at the Waukesha Expo Center. (Also, Nikea handed off the contract to Julianna and Tatiana, who need to sign it and put down the deposit.)

Settlement: We donated some money and covered some other groups. See the Emergency Curia Notes on the website for more details.

Heraldry Project Day: Great time. Lots of consulting and other things. Arnbjorn wants everybody to know that he actually needs three color copies of submissions, not two as previously stated. He's looking forward to lots of submissions as a result, and we're all looking forward to new banners.

Border Skirmish 2012: Since it's CAM's year to host Border Skirmish, Astrid is hoping to get the members of Curia to head up their areas in wrangling folks to be in charge of those activities. If not, we're asking for assistance in directing us to people who we can contact to cover those areas. We will need all areas covered, including children's activities and boffer fighting. Areas of interest we need filled are: Troll (Astrid will handle pre-reg), Heavy Weapons, Rapier, Archery/Thrown Weapons, A&S, Class Coordinator, Herald, Children's Activities, Security, Bardic, Games. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in making this year's Border Skirmish the bestest evah! Side note: The theme this year is 'It's Only A Game'.


New Business:

MOAS: The office of Minister of Arts and Sciences is open a little early. Please submit letters of intent to the Seneschal and Baron and Baroness. We'll make a decision by April Curia.

Spring Court Moot: Tatiana has been looking for a site, and would like to reserve the Schutz Recreation Center Activities Room (in Waukesha) for April 28th. Will cost $180 - requires a deposit of $400, but we get the extra back. We voted to do this. Event will either be 2-8 or 1:30-7:30, and we have to clean up afterwards.

Legends Moot: Will include beadwork/lampwork/glass and brewing beer. More information to come.

Yule Moot: Katerina has reserved the Waukesha County Beachhouse for December 12 (12/15/12) as a fallback location and date because she has to wait until October to reserve it for the date she really wants, which is January 19 (1/19/13). We are allowed to rent this space for any non-martial activities. The theme will be 'Winter Games', and the event will include using a trebuchet to throw snowballs into the lake. (Not at each other, because that would be a martial activity.)

CAM 40th Anniversary: We looked at an event proposal from Valerius and Arnbjorn to hold the CAM 40th Anniversary at the DeKoven Center in Racine on

September 26, 2015 (9/26/15). The theme will be Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Katlin would be the feast steward. From the proposal: "The concept for the event is a full-immersion experience based on the 14th century poem 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'. The basic synopsis is: At Arthur's Yule Court a Mysterious Knight, all in green (with green skin and hair, and a green horse) arrives and challenges the knights to a wager. Gawain accepts and beheads the knight, who picks up his head and orders Gawain to meet him at the Green Chapel in one year's time to accept the return blow. Gawain goes through various trials before meeting the Green Knight and earning his respect." This event will recreate the poem's 14th century minuet, with a higher-than-usual expectation of period authenticity. The event's activities will be bease on the 3-4 scenarios depicted in the poem, including various Arthurian elements such as the quest. Prior to the event CAM will have book club nights to read and discuss the poem (possibly including different variations of the tale), and clothes-making days to help those who wish to make 14th century attire. Regarding the feast, Katlin has suggested a dayboard for lunch and an evening high feast and low feast, recreating the feast as described in the book. The event will be advertised as 'full immersion', meaning that nothing modern is visible and people will be expected to be in 'full high persona'. ("Bring your A Game.") We will have fighting in the form of a Pas (as described in the poem), with a gallery to determine the winners. Period entertainment for the kids, such as puppet shows. Assume no merchants. Note: we may have to cap attendance at 250 people based on occupancy restrictions. We then discussed the proposed pricing ($25 per person, plus feast). Some people think it's too much money for an event, others think it will be fine because we have plenty of time to build hype and getting people excited. Would like a $500 deposit to reserve the DeKoven Center for September 26, 2015 (9/26/15). We need to know the cancellation and refund policy before we approve this - tabled until March.


Guilds and Groups:

Herbal Cooking Guild: Hope to meet in March, or else April; more details as they become available.

Brewing and Vintning: Geoffrey will teach a class about garlic wine once he's healed enough. Might make beer at the Legends Moot, the grains from which will then be used to make bread. Katerina is still cleaning the house to prepare for meetings there, and is trying to get information and the charter from the previous head of the guild.

A&S 50: The first project is done (silk banner making)! Plan to do an embroidery class, taught by Lewina, at her home or the library. Intend also to do something at the Metal Moot, and to do wood carving. African Dance will meet Sunday (2/26) at 2 at Longstrider Manor. Dahrien will add an A&S 50 Projects section to the website and the calendar.

C&I: Eva is trying to get C&I started again. It will probably be Sunday afternoons, once or twice a month, including field trips to Fort Atkinson and Kenosha to learn from people who live there. Working on dates now.

Marquette: Temporary hold on loaning out the armor while they categorize/list it all. Held a puppy chow sale to raise money. They need an adult sponsor (someone older than 21) for Gulf Wars - please contact Amanda. Thursday night meetings will feature movie night once a month, as well as classes (they will get us a list of what they'd like to learn) and projects.

Stritch: Thank you for attending the Heraldry Moot. We need to discuss Curia dates for the dates that the College isn't available (June and August). Three of the Stritch students intend to be at Fighter's School. Fighter's practices have changed to Tuesdays to accomodate class schedules, including fighting after Curia meetings. They'll know as of March 10 if they're going to be hosting Coronation. They're having Club Carnival on Wednesday Feb 29 from 11-1, and would like people to show up if they can.

------------------

3/20/2012

Officer Reports:

Baron & Baroness: Spring Court is coming. Put in award recommendations! Come play and enjoy the weather. Coronation is coming up (April 14), and we need gifts for Their (incoming) Majesties. Tokens, jewelery, or whatever - we'd like to put together a bundle of items for them, but have run out. Please talk to Their Excellencies if you have items to donate. Border Skirmish is also on the horizon, and we need volunteers. Talk to Astrid or Leif. If you want to try a position you've never tried, they can set you up with a more experienced backup. We'll also have a breakfast feast at that event, and will need volunteers specifically for that. (Talk to Julianna about that.)

Chatelaine: Welcome to Ulrich and Illaria (sorry about misspelling your names), people who moved here from the Outlands (New Mexico). Chatelaine will start pushing the Bayview Bash soon - let's make it bigger and better. If you want to run it in the future or have ideas, let her know. We're really building a presence at that demo, so let's continue to do so.

Exchequer: The check for the settlement is done. The money market account is closed. We still have money. We haven't made a deposit yet for Border Skirmish and we probably need to. The office is open, and please be aware that we must have an Exchequer in order to remain an SCA group. Please send a letter or intent to the Baron, Baroness, Seeneschal, and Exchequer.

Quartermaster: We have stuff. Going to do a fresh inventory. There's a check-in/check-out form on a clipboard at the storage locker somewhere, which Jean will dig out - please use it. If you have things that belong in the storage locker, please return them to the locker or give them to Jean at fighter's practice.

Herald: If you want the Herald to look something up, or you need her to shout, please let her know.

Minister of Children: Has filled out the background check and is waiting to receive his clearance letter.

Chronicler: Articles are due by Sunday (March 25). If you reply to her email, please change the subject line (remove CAM from it) so that it doesn't go into the CAM folder and get lost. You don't have to be an officer to write for the Tower - please submit any articles, letters, art, or whatever.

Webminister: Abelard is awesome. Dahrien's office is ending - he's willing to keep maintaining the website if someone else wants the title. (Please submit letters of intent to Baron, Baroness, Seneschal, and Webminister.) The Youth Event website is up.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: We had a Heraldic Project Day, which was great. This weekend is a Stout Making Day (Sunday, March 25) at Longstrider Manor (Kateryn's house). Next month we're having a Garlic Wine Making Day. Coming up soon is a 14th Century Garb day. The office is open - please submit letters of intent to Baron, Baroness, Seneschal, and MOAS.

Knights Marshal: Akira's life should get less busy soon. He's still working on securing practice space at Bucketworks - he should have a proposal next week or so. It might be time to consider outdoor practices.

Archery Marshal: Practice is still Mondays at West Town Archery. (Note, new location.)

Seneschal: Any contacts must be signed by the Seneschal. (This will be added to the Kingdom Bylaws officially, but for the moment be aware that it's the rule.) All open offices, moots, etc - please help, volunteer, and participate. We must keep officer positions filled in order to stay a valid SCA group.


Old Business:

Metal Moot: Working on finalizing the site. This will be a mini-event, reprising the metal moot from a few years ago. The location has a forge and other equipment that we'll need, and we should have the site for Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday (May 4, 5, 6). We'd like people to pre-register so that we know how much coal and other materials to get. Volunteers and participants welcome!

Spring Court: April 28 from 1:30-7:30 at the Schuetze Recreation Center in Frame Park in Waukesha. There will be fighting, and there will be court. Note: some of the people involved will be leaving early to attend a wedding that day. If anyone wants to teach or hold a planned activity, please let Tatiana know. (Katerina will be in charge when Tatiana's not there, but Tatiana's still the Event Steward.)

Cam 40th Anniversary (Gawain Event): Valerius and Arnbjorn brought their presentation again. They propose: CAM's 40th Anniversary should have a theme of Gawain and the Green Knight, September 26, 2015. The event will be at DeKoven in Racine and focus on the Arthurian Mythos. It will be a "full" immersive opportunity to play within part of the story. There will be a quest on the grounds to mimic Gawain's quest for enlightenment. There will be a pas - each team will be sponsored by the Knights of the Round Table. Feast and Court will be combined and will also be part of the quest. (We will offer a high feast and a low feast, based on the feasts presented in the book.) This is not meant to be exclusive, but we will provide lots of opportunities for people to make heraldry and clothing appropriate to the period. We need to submit a $500 non-refundable deposit in order to secure the dates, and six months before the event we will need to pay the remaining balance ($2500). This money is refundable only if the DeKoven Center can re-book the space. Note: We need to cap attendance based on occupancy limitations at the site. The proposed cap is 250 people. (The break-even point for this is a site fee of $21.50 per person.) We have the chapel, gymnasium, assembly hall, great hall, and the grounds. (Lodging is also available on site.) Comments from people at the meeting: People all over the country are already interested in this event, even with the site fee so much higher than other SCA events. It's critical that we start talking this up *now* and get the seeds planted and the challenges issued. The Curia voted that we make the $500 deposit, and two weeks before the six-month deadline (March of 2015) we decide if we have enough interest and pre-registrations (suggested 75%) to make the final deposit of $2500 and go forward. (A note: the Baronial Championships could be moved to the Legends Moot that year.)

Border Skirmish 2012: Most positions are filled. Contact Astrid and Leif, and if they don't get back to you contact them again. (When contacting Astrid, use the Polaris Signet address because she doesn't check her other email address as often.) The Tavern will be there to serve lunch and dinner, the Quave (coffee house) will be there as well. Assuming that Their Majesties have Court at the regular time - Saturday afternoon, after fighting - there will not be a Baronial Court because Their Excellencies will be at a graduation. Note: This site has showers, trees, electricity, flushies, and parking.

Boar's Head: Tatiana and Julianna are the event stewardss, Katerina is the deputy. The theme is Celebration of Travelers. The site token will probably be a pilgrim's badge. They're trying to make it more interesting, and there will be more information in the Tower. Will sign the contract for the site tonight.


New Business:

Youth Event: Typhaine and Nikea are the event stewards. The event will be May 25-27 at Camp Rokilio (where the last one was). The theme is the History and Values of Northshield, as exemplified by Sir Conn at Gwyneth's Investure. (As Her champion, Conn was tasked to find people who exemplified the knightly virtues, and he did so.) We have a feast steward. There are many planned activities. The kids will form a compass rose with lights, and there will be special guests invited to embody the virtues. (See the website at http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Calendar/YouthEvent/2012/index.php for more details about the activities.) This event should be a big deal for us - please talk it up and make it so.

Coronation: We have submitted the six page bid and it has been accepted. Event will be September 8 at Cardinal Stritch University. There will be a site fee of $5. Feast will be $15 for high feast and $13 for low feast. The feast will be catered - don't bring feast gear. We should finish the Baronial banners! If you want to help, talk to the event stewards Nikea, Alice, and Julianna.

Curia location: Some people have expressed displeasure at splitting Curia between two locations. (People don't like attending only half of the meetings due to distance, people don't feel that they are 'in tune' with the Curia or aware of what's going on.) There will be more discussion on this topic in the future.


Guilds and Groups:

Cooking and Herbal: On hold until they can decide on a date and location.

A&S 50 Projects: Going well. Had an embroidery class last week and learned three stitches. Sunday (March 25) we're making Stout. Next month is Garlic Wine. April 1 is African Dance at Longstrider Manor. We'll learn to make glass beads at the Legends Moot, and 6 and 10 panel dresses at a Project Day at Marquette.

Vintning and Brewing: Jean is taking it over. Stout Day will be the first activity, March 25 at Longstrider Manor. He will also write articles about brewing for the Tower. There will be a Brewing Day coming - maybe at Legends Moot. Please save your leftover grains for making bread...

Marquette: 3/22 class on rivets, buckles, and straps. 3/29 class on candles and candle clocks. Still have practice on Monday nights. Hoping to attend upcoming events such as Bardic Madness. Project Day March 31 - would love to see CAM folks there. Will have something for the Tower.

Stritch: Will have something for the Tower. Finally have permission to a demo on campus, which they've scehduled for April 3 (a Tuesday night). This will be instead of fighter's practice. They also invite everyone to practice embroidery at practice on March 28th, and will be encouraging different projects at future practices. And please let the group know if you have fundraising ideas.


--------------------

4/17/2012


In Attendance: Abelard, Moira, Tatiana, Typhaine, Myfanway, Corin, Hafgrimm, Magnus, Jean, Dahrien, Mysie, Ambrose, Jean Baptiste, Sigrid de la Mare, Gabrielle, Caitlin, Murdoch, Marcella, Albrecht, Eva, Kateryn, Arnbjorn


Officer Reports:

Seneschal Note: Nikea is not present because she's taking care of Julianna post-surgery. Kateryn is acting as Deputy Seneschal.

Baron and Baroness: We went to Coronation and it was great. His Majesty Northshield offered the army to His Majesty Midrealm, and was informed that the Northshield army "won't be needed" because Midrealm and the East have united this year. Instead, the Children of the Dragon and the Children of the Tiger will unite against their parents. The Metal Moot is coming, Spring Court is coming - please send in award recommendations. Happy to see so many people at Curia! Also, Crown is coming and Their Excellencies are going. They need things for gift baskets! Please drop off donations by May 9 (the Wednesday night before Crown).

Chatelaine: Read the Tower. Lots of new people, keep your eye out for them. Sometime before Coronation Baroness Kateryn will teach a class about court manners, etiquette, and 'how to recognize a hat'. The loaner garb (gold key) will be there as well. And be aware that we use a lot of jargon which won't make sense to new people, so you might have to stop and explain yourself as you're talking to them.

Exchequer: We still have money. We have a new Exchequer: THL Moira. Be aware that she's quite fond of saying 'no'. Working on the transition of the office.

QuarterMaster: Went to the storage locker and confirmed that there's stuff in it. Didn't do inventory last weekend because he went to Coronation instead, so he'll try to do it this week instead. If you have items which should be in the locker, please let him know.

Herald: If you want your name and/or device registered, let the herald know. Tower articles will include information about 'heraldese'.

Minister of Children: Still waiting for his warrant. Nikea will follow up.

Chronicler: Articles are due by Sunday (4/22). Please write articles, and remember that all officers should submit reports as well.

Webminister: Hafgrim has announced his intent to be the new deputy for a month and then to be the new webminister, following a 'behind the scenes' tour of the site. If you have information for the Border Skirmish website, please send it to the Ravenslake WebMinister. If you have information for the Youth Event, please send it to ours.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: Garlic Wine is on April 29. The Metal Moot/Playing With Fire is May 5. (More information later in this missive.) Typhaine will step in as the new MoAS. She's a self-described A&S geek, and will have 'office hours' at practices. She intends to be a database of resources, and will promote conversation of A&S and projects on the CAM email list. And she'll be teaching A&S for kids too.

Knights Marshal: We have practice at Marquette Monday nights until the first week of May, and Tuesday nights at Stritch until the second week of May. (Need to confirm these dates with the students.) Will switch to Thursday nights outdoors at KK Park the first week of May, more information forthcoming. Probably also outdoors on Sunday afternoons.

Archery: Will start shooting outdoors May 14 - rotating Monday nights between Whitnall Park and Menomonee Park, Thursdays at KK Park.

Other Missile Weapons: Marquette is having a treb day on May 5. Meet at the Marquette Physics building at 1ish.

Seneschal: Read the Tower.


Old Business:

April Moot: April 28, 1:30-7:30 at the Schuetze Center in Frane Park in Waukesha. Bring what you want. Only planned activities are fighting and Court, but if you want to teach classes please contact Tatiana and Jean. (Tatiana's in charge while she's there but can't stay all day; Jean will take over when she leaves.) There is no kitchen, but there are outlets. Also, there's no place to clean feast gear; if you bring feast gear, also bring a bag to transport your dirty dishes home.

Metal Moot: May 4, 5, 6 at Albrecht and Eva's house. Will have at least two forges. We'll have a particular project in mind (making a coal shovel) which will teach different blacksmithing techniques. We'll also have pewter casting. If armorers want to bring basic equipment and work on that, that's fine too. We can also cook outdoors. It's the evening of the 4th, all day on the 5th, and some of the day on the 6th. More information will be coming.

Youth Event: The website is up. Corydon is making crowns for the kids. We have the castle for the kids to sleep in. The challenge is all put together. Special guests are coming!

Border Skirmish: Mysie is sponsoring a big warlord tournament with lots of prizes for the winning team. Julianna is working on the Break Feast (breakfast feast) and could use help. Tatiana is bringing the tavern, providing dinner Friday night, and lunch and dinner Saturday, roughly 11-8. (Different food for different meals.) Royal Court will likely be in the morning, and there will almost definitely be no Baronial Court.

Coronation: The theme is "Northshield - Bring Out Your A-Game". Will have high-ranking people from the University to impress, as well as the usual high-ranking Northshield people. Let's showcase what we're all about. Please bring banners and banner stands because we can't hang anything from the walls. We will have heavy fighting but no rapier, details contingent on the incoming royalty. (Rapiers are banned from campus because of a strict 'no weapons' policy. Heavy weapons fall under the category of 'sports equipment'.) There are still openings for staff positions.

Boar's Head: The theme is 'Celebration of Travellers'. The website will be up soon. Katerina is sponsoring an Arts and Sciences Pentathalon. We've sent in the contract and the check. Julianna is looking into lunch options. We can do the cookie caper if we pay 18% to the site, which is standard; it's a good fundraiser so we'd like to do it again. Please bring banners to decorate the hall - we probably won't hang them from the rafters. We'll have fewer merchants. We won't have the bleachers. And we can't use the outlets without paying lots of money for them. There are still open staff positions - contact Tatiana.


New Business:

Curia Meetings in June/July/August: We discussed and voted, and decided that we will have June and August in Brookfield (assuming it's available) and no Curia in July.

Wisconsin Scottish Highland Games Demo: It's Labor Day. We discussed and decided that we're too busy this year so we can't make it.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vintnig: We brewed an Irish Stout - bottling will be at the *Garlic Wine session on April 29. Also, making Garlic Wine on April 29.

Herbal and Cooking: We'll set something up.

Marquette: School year ends May 5, so practices will end then as well. Treb launch on May 5.

Stritch: Demo on May 1. Students will be available as early as 4, though the demo doesn't start till 7:30. Please bring stuff! Will have tables for A&S, fighting, and maybe tents/pavilions. Next week's "A&S at fighter's practice" activity is embroidery. Last day of classes is May 11.


------------------

5/15/2012


In Attendance: Abelard, Typhaine, Albrecht, Eva, Nikea, Tatiana, Moria, Rubyn, Alexander, Gabrielle, Ambrose, Arnbjorn, Julianna, Andy, Akira, Grimm, Siri, Rosemarian


Officer Reports:

Baron and Baroness: Went to Crown, along with some others from the Barony. It was excellent, and we now have a new Prince and Princess (Yngvar and Luce). Vivat! The people in Castel Rouge were wonderful hosts. We've got lots of stuff coming up, so we'll see lots of each other.

Chatelaine: Don't have an awful lot. Started pushing for the Bayview Bash - we need ideas and people. Everyone should come and play so we can make this year bigger and better; we've been pushing the envelope every year, and this year we should make it bigger than life. There's a new person at the meeting tonight (Rubyn), who just moved here from the Midrealm, so say hi.

Exchequer: We have money. Successfully received the office from Magnus (that is, everything has been handed over).

Quartermaster: If you have stuff that belongs to the Barony, please let Jean know so that he can keep the inventory list accurate.

Herald: Read the Tower.

Minister of Children: Has gone through all of the Baronial youth equipment and paperwork, and has started to build portable 'entertain kids' kits - games, toys, and whatnot which can be used to entertain and teach kids. He's looking for marbles, scrap leather, wood he can turn (to make tops), really good string (also for tops), etc. to make more of these kits.

Chronicler: Thank you to everyone who wrote material for the last Tower. It was awesome. Keep it up! For the last three events we had 'newsy' articles which read more like event ads for the Northwatch, which is fine, but Tatiana would prefer something more informal. A few people have offered to write 'columns' for the Tower, such as games and book reviews, so look for those in future issues. Remember that you don't have to be an officer to write for the Tower! We'd love to see historical articles - if you have a special moment or memory from an SCA event, please write it down and send it in. Even if it's older than the Kingdom of Northshield. Deadline for the next issue is Sunday, May 20.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: Collecting a list of what A&S the members of the Barony are working on. There was a treb shoot since last Curia, which was lots of fun, and the Metal Moot. (Review later in the notes.) Cooking and Herbal Guild meeting is coming on Sunday, and the theme is 'modern recipes', and we're going to have candied ginger, lemon peels, orange peels, and other things. Suggestion: Chocolate-covered candied bacon! There's also a library project coming up - read the Tower.

Knights Marshal: Switching to mostly outdoor locations for the summer. We'll try to use Bucketworks as an indoor backup in case of inclement weather. Currently we're planning to have practices Tuesdays and Thursdays at KK Park, Fridays and Leif and Astrid's, and Sundays at Humboldt Park. Sundays will be more of a training practice than a sparring practice - not just a 'come and fight' practice, but more actual training. We'd do things like yogao, chi keung, techniques, and drills. We need to cover the middle ground in order to grow and excel, and it would be great to incorporate some of the rapier and cut/thrust skills and techniques, and he'll have more on that as it develops. Want to bring back the ideals of the 'key site' days, and to 'market' ourselves better. Working on a deal with Bucketworks, which he'll then present to Curia, but they're currently discussing a membership with a monthly fee which would include practice space, possibly expanding it to include 24/7 access and storage space. We currently have about five people regularly at practice (not always the same five), and we'd like to expand that to ten.

Archery: Started outdoor practice. See the website for details. If you have ideas for practice spaces, please let William know. Currently we have Thursdays at KK Park, Mondays alternating between Whitnall and Menomonee Park.

Rapier: FYI, Toshi will be starting graduate school so someone will need to step into the role of 'main rapier guy'.

Seneschal: I've been absent lately and very busy, so thanks to everyone who stepped up to fill in my shoes. Events are happening - please volunteer where you can. Be helpful, share, contribute, be generous.


Old Business:

Spring Court: Thanks to Jean for making it all work out. Got the deposit back, which Tatiana will send to the Exchequer. Did some officer changeovers. We had fighting, court, combat brewing, food, and cleanup, and had new people. Yay!

Metal Moot: We had two forges, and made metal shovels under the tutelage of Aaron the Younger. He has open shop, by the way - contact him or the Baron for more information. People had fun and learned stuff.

Youth Event: Corydon and Typhaine have taken over most of the planning. Corydon's doing the quest, which is now a quest for runestones: Kids will go from task to task and learn skills, and they'll earn runes at each station.(Etchings, brass rubbings, sewing leather, painting, decorating cookies, learning games, memorizing poetry...) He's also made new crowns for this year's youth royalty. He's looking for marbles/pente sets, by the way. All of the kids will go home with cool stuff. Five of the virtues will be represented by stations. Arnbjorn will teach stool ball. Fiona will teach a class about catapults. Feast is planned to be phenomenal. Please talk this up and come, and bring kids. They're the future, you know.

Border Skirmish: Volunteers wanted - talk to Astrid. Need troll, need kitchen help, need security. Need donations for the auction, part of which will be silent and part of which will be live (starring Kateryn). Midrealm is apparently bringing a large force, including the King and Queen. We will also have the King and Prince of Northshield. We need people to work Saturday morning at 5 AM on the breakFeast. We have trees! And showers! And running water! And electricity! The tavern will be running Friday and Saturday - the menu is on the website.

Coronation: Site is at Stritch. The site is great, with huge rooms. We'll have fighting in the courtyard with an indoor backup space. Will be catered. The chapel for court. Perfect place for pomp and circumstance - bring your best. Lots of loaner garb available, and classes about how to recognize royalty. It will be awesome!

Cam 40th: We got confirmation from DeKoven that they got the deposit, and we're signed up. Starting to strategize. Meeting coming soon.

Boar's Head: Planning meeting soon. Looking at filling the volunteer positions. Theme: Celebration of travellers. Need help with decorating - should have the website up soon. Event will include an A&S Pentathalon. Also, Moira is the feastocrat.

What would get you to come to Curia?: Timing, the day, and the location. Once in awhile (once or twice a year) we should have a Sunday meeting, possibly at a far-reaching location. Include, don't exclude. Maybe bring back the Curia potluck from time to time, or the Curia moot, or combine Curia with the planning meeting. Typhaine will make a door prize for the next Curia. If you have more ideas, let Nikea know.


New Business:

Communications/Negative Concerns: We've heard this comment from time to time: If X happens, the Barony will fall apart. That's just not true. Words are powerful, and we should be cautious in our comments. Think about changing how we view issues and problems, and look at expressing them so that they become something we can do something about. More on this coming in an email from HE Eva.

Demo on the Sunday of Legends Moot?: A Cub Scout troop has invited us to do a demo on the morning of Legends Moot at Burlington Campground. They would like little booths/stations with crafts, fighting, etc. They would like to know by next month. If you want to come, email Rosemarian. They'll take anything we can give them.


Guilds and Groups:

Cooking and Herbal: Sunday May 20 at 2 PM at Typhaine's. Modern recipes, candied ginger, lemon peel, orange peel. Corydon's offering a prize for the best recipe.

A&S 50: Beadmaking at Legends Moot, maybe a couple beers. Eva wants to make a small mead.

Brewing and Vintning: Bottled the beer. Made onion wine and garlic wine, which has now been racked. (Will rack again, not sure when he'll bottle it.) Moira has wine bottles if people want some.

Marquette: Students are gone for the summer but hope to see us at summer events.

Stritch: Students are gone for the summer but hope to see us at summer events.

UWM might be starting next school year. They're excited about the possibility.



------------------

6/19/2012

In Attendance: Rubyn, Hafgrimm, Abelard, Akira, Kateryn, Fancy, Tatiana, Moira, Julianna, Corin, Arnbjorn, Albrecht, Nikea, Mysie, Typhaine, Alice, Andy


Officer Reports:

Baron and Baroness: Her Excellency is not able to attend, but is doing well. Border Skirmish was fairly brilliant. The tavern was excellent. Break-Feast was spectacular. His Majesty declared that caramel french toast is his new crack. WW is coming up - hope to see many of you there.

Chatelaine: Office is open in January. Start chatting it up. Also, we have a new person working on garb.

Exchequer: We have money. We lost money on the kids event and made money on Border Skirmish. We're still checking the books and collecting receipts from Border Skirmish so we don't know the final numbers. The new troll system (the card system) is a good one, and we'll use it for events from now on.

QuarterMaster: We have stuff. The feastocrats (that is, the people who use the feast gear/tablecloths/etc) should go through the cooking materials and discard whatever we don't use, based on what's practical and what isn't. Talk to Jean.

Herald: Working on two names and two devices, for Hafgrimm and his lady. The Tower report will be the first in a series about beasts and positions.

Chronicler: I apologize for last month's Tower being so delayed. Please get me your articles by Sunday, 6/24.

WebMinister: Handing things off to Grimm, though Dahrien will continue to do work on the site.

Knights Marshal: Fighting will continue. Tuesdays and Thursdays at KK Park, Fridays at Leif and Astrid's.

Archery: Shooting will continue. See the website for practice times and locations.

Rapier: Someone has become an MIT with the expectation of taking over as the group rapier marshal.

Seneschal: It's been a long month. Please volunteer more often - we had lots of positions that needed help at Border Skirmish, and people didn't step up to fill them. We need to keep an eye out for site tokens at events as well... moving the rest of this into the Border Skirmish notes.

MoAS: Read the Tower.


Old Business:

Modern Cooking Day: Fancy won the Spoon. We learned how to make candied ginger that doesn't take three months!

Youth Event: Note: There is a conversation about this on the CAM list as well. Lost money. We had more staff than attendees, and fewer people than last time. The cost of the site was a factor, but it would have been lower if more people came. Leif, Morgan, and Corydon were considering using the site for a pas d' arms. Perhaps the 'tournament of short roses', in which each kid sponsors a fighter and chooses the fighter's weapons, teams, and victory conditions and is paired with the fighter (not on the field, but as a supporter) through the tournament? Sort of like a live-action video game for the kids? One person commented that "the site fee is too high" is not a valid argument - if people want to come, they'll find a way. And honestly, the cost of the event was lower than the cost of a day's entertainment in any other venue. If we want to have a site and play our game, we have to pay for it. Plusses: The site was stellar. The kids never got bored - their attention was held all day. They worked together, they learned, they got along. Maybe it's time to not do this event because we lose money and we drain our volunteer pool? Maybe we need to expand it beyond just kids (such as using it for the pas)? If we have adult activities, the kids activities will suffer. Is a $300 loss really that big a deal? Can we soak it up? This year there was a problem with scheduling - this event was on the calendar for a year, but we still lost people to other events which got scheduled a couple months out. Can we work with the Scouts somehow - maybe they can waive the site fee and we can open it up to them? Ultimately, the Kingdom Youth person wants us to alternate with the western side of the Kingdom, so let's revisit this topic for next year (2014).

Border Skirmish: Note: There is a conversation about this on the CAM list as well. It will be revisited at August Curia. Great site, except for people with allergies. Everybody loved the site. Set up troll at all of the gates. Security: Needed more people. Make people park in the parking lot. Breakfast feast was great, but there was a problem: 68 adults and 8 kids paid for feast, and there were seats for 125 people, and the hall was filled. Maybe we need to start checking feast tokens. Also, it looked like we had more people than paid troll. Should move troll closer to the rest of the site - it wasn't visible from the campground, the fighting field, or any of the rest of the activities. Also, the directions on the website took you past troll but directions from google brought you in the 'back' gate which was closer to the campground. Camping was very spread out - maybe it can be compressed? There was a high Midrealm turnout but a low Northshield turnout. Fighting comments: For future events at this site, maybe we can get hay bales from the stable instead of using colored paint? (Some fighters were colorblind.) Some administrative marshal problems, but nothing too bad. Maybe we can do artillery next year? The trees were a big help. Needed more water and cups. (Person in charge of water was new to the job.)

Coronation Meeting: July 1, deLeon Way (Nikea and Julianna's house).

Boar's Head: We've paid for it. Planning meeting: July 29, noon, deLeon Way (Nikea and Julianna's house).

Green Knight: We handed out Save The Date flyers at Border Skirmish.

Curia Moot: Tabled until next meeting.


New Business:

Youth Activities: Let Nikea know about youth activities.

Bayview Bash: We are signed up. Put on your thinking caps - how can we make it more exciting and draw more people? People are noticing us, so we should step it up. Akira is going to run the fighting stuff.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing: The Charter has changed hands. Will be bottling onion and garlic wine in a few weeks - watch the CAM list.

Cooking/Herbal: If you want to host cooking night and you have air conditioning, let Typhaine know. Next cooking night will involve herbal ingredients to some extent.

Stritch: Brought a new person to Border Skirmish who is from UWM and wants to start a group there.

Marquette: Amanda's back on campus. Mysie now has a 'giant horse' and will challenge students to make more of them, then tilt on the green.

------------------

8/21/2012

In Attendance: Nikea, Albrecht, Eva, Akira, Hafgrimm, Carol, Moira, Typhaine, Corydon, Tatiana, Alice, Abelard, Gabrielle, Arnbjorn, Conandil, Green Jenny, Robyn, Andrew, Dahrien, Julianna


Officer Reports:

Baron & Baroness: Please, be courteous. Please, be brief. Please, be respectful. Courtesy begins at this meeting. We have a number of events coming up in the next couple months - Legends, Coronation, Bayview Bash - so please attend what you can and help where you can. Also, if your schedule isn't already too full you can go to When In Rome in Gimli over Labor Day, or to the Middle Kingdom Academy of Defense in Ravenslake in the Midrealm. Please submit award recommendations!

Chatelaine: Bayview Bash is coming up. See later in these notes. Question for the Chatelaine: How do I get people connected to the 'gold key' garb collection? Answer: connect them with Julianna, who will invite them over to the house (deLeon Crossing), where they have three tubs of garb available.

Exchequer: Started getting reservations for Coronation for merchants. Also, found a mistake on the website which the webminister has now corrected - email address was linked wrong. Also, hasn't received the email invitations for the yahoo group yet.

Minister of Children: Cory has a brand new helmet and wants to do youth combat. We need a youth combat marshal, and Corydon is volunteering.

Chronicler: Reports are due Sunday, August 26th. Articles don't have to be officer reports, they can be anything - write about an SCA experience you had, something that happened at Pennsic, what Gulf Wars was like, a book review, or anything else you enjoyed and are passionate about. Kingdom Law says that in order to remain a Barony we must have at least a quarterly newsletter, and getting articles and submissions for a monthly one has been like pulling teeth. Can we try every other month instead? After much discussion and a vote we decided to try publishing every other month on odd months (September, November, January, etc).

WebMinister: Hafgrimm will be the new web minister once the paperwork is finished, and Dahrien is the deputy in charge of doing stuff. Officers, please check your pages on the website. We need to get permission to publish personal information and artwork or creative endeavors. (Personal information includes anything more than a person's SCA name.) We have a few waivers to this end on file already and would like to get more. Note that these files are currently stored on a section of the web server which is not accessible via the web. People raised concerns about potential identity theft and liability in cases thereof, and the web minister agreed that he would look into storing them in entirely offline format (CD or DVD).

Minister of Arts and Sciences: Need to make an MOAS report. Please send Typhaine lists of A&S projects so that she can create this report.

Knights Marshal: Fighting will continue at outdoor practices until darkness shuts us down.

Rapier: Guinevre du Dragon Vert (Green Jenny) has announced her intention to be the new rapier marshal. This was accepted by the Barony.

Seneschal: The office is up in a year. If you would like to learn how to be a seneschal by first serving as a deputy, or if you just want to be a deputy, please let Nikea know.


Old Business:

Legends Moot: This Saturday (August 25) at Alice's at noon. This moot is to celebrate and remember those members of the Barony who have passed. We will have a potluck, so please bring something for it. Also, please bring your own chairs. There will be demonstrations/classes on making glass beads, making period beer, and making silk banners; otherwise, feel free to bring your own projects. Also, fighters are invited to fight in the Mama Kat heavy weapons tournament.

Bayview Bash: September 15. Typhaine had offered to bring props for photo opportunities, but can no longer attend; she will send the props along. (We intend to give people an opportunity to take photos with props, which we will then send to them.) We now have our own sign and business cards thanks to Tatianna, so we don't need to borrow the sign from Turn An Dem See or generate our own business cards. Fighting demo is scheduled for 2:30 and will last for at least 45 minutes - please contact Akira if you are available to fight. Ideally we will demonstrate not just sparring but also period techniques. We are developing a presence at this event - let's continue to do this. Julianna asked for money to purchase breakfast and lunch for our folks at the demo, to come from the Chatelaine budget; Curia voted to give her $100 from the general fund as if this is its own event. (That is, the money will not come from the Chatelaine budget.)

Baronial Champions: Sunday, September 30. (Note: the date has been changed from September 29.) Gabrielle has asked for money for the site ($100 as site fee, $50 refundable deposit, $150 for sundries). Voted to give her $300 as requested, but she needs to talk to Exchequer so that Moira knows where to send the check. Their Excellencies have invited Their Excellencies Jaravellir, who may move fighter's practice to this location that day.

Coronation: September 8. Staff, if you have information for the website please get it to Dahrien because he needs to post it ASAP. Also, if you have questions for Their Highnesses, please go through the royalty liaison (Kateryn) We need volunteers, especially at Troll. RoseMarian needs to contact Moira about the 'troll boxes'.

Banner Stands: At the Coronation planning meeting we discussed the needs for banner stands. (The site, as many others, will not allow us to hang banners from the walls. In order to display banners and other examples of heraldry, we need banner stands.) Corydon suggested that he could make some for low cost, and he brought a prototype to show us. Made of birch plywood it has four beveled 'feet' which lock together to form a base with a square hole in the middle, a pole, and a cross-pole with finished ends. (The cross pole can be attached to the main pole or suspended, and the two poles can be made to lock into each other - he would just need to know that in advance.) He requested money to make eight sets, which includes the base, the main pole, the cross pole, paint, and bags to carry everything. We voted to give him $120 to make 8. We can discuss future ways to leverage this in future meetings (for Baronial use, for royalty gifts, etc), and he is available to make them as personal commissions as well.

Boar's Head: It's happening on December 8. We need more information and will post more about it as time goes on.

Bylaw Reviews: We will review the Bylaws at a meeting in November, time to be determined. Before that some suggested changes will be published in the Tower.


New Business:

Table linens: Valerius and Adeliz have asked to use the Baronial table linens for their upcoming wedding. No objections, as long as they come back clean and folded. (They are permanent press, so we can't say 'washed and ironed'.) They need to talk to Tatianna to acquire these items.

Conducting and Documenting Planning Meetings: Their Excellencies would like to know what's happening in the Barony. When they cannot attend planning meetings for events, they have asked that autocrats/event stewards please send them copies of the minutes/notes when possible so that they can speak intelligently on the subject when questioned by royalty. (For instance, they might want to know who the staff members are before the website containing that information has been created.)


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vintning: Making beer on Saturday at the Legends Moot.

Cooking: Will try for an October meeting, with the theme of Illusion Food.

Stritch: Coronation is September 8 at Stritch, and they're all busy preparing for it. Sunday afternoon fighting/social practices will begin at the Knights Marshal's discretion. Their group will meet on Tuesday nights.

Marquette: Fighters practices will be on Thursday nights, and their group will meet on Monday nights.


Miscellaneous Notes:

Alice's banner was misplaced at last year's Legends Moot. Has anyone seen it, or does anyone know where into which safe place it was stored?

Rubyn is looking for unfinished scraps and pieces of wood for his projects.

Akira received a door prize of a calligraphy set.


------------------

9/18/2012

In Attendance: Akira, Abelard, Caitlin, Arnbjorn, Guinevre, Jean du Malchance, Typhaine, Corydon, Albrecht, Eva, Nikea, Rubyn, Julianne, Kateryn, Myfanway, Corin, Murdoch, Dahrien, Ambrose, Gabrielle, Jean Baptiste


Officer Reports:

Baron and Baroness: Coronation was spectacular. Thank you to the stewards and the populace for making it so. The Bayview Bash was also excellent. Well done. Thank you. Baronial Championships is coming - some folks from Windhaven and Jaravellir are coming. Maybe we will use the fort!

Chatelaine: The Bash went really well. We had people show lots of interest and gathered 28 email addresses for photos. We have a little more interest every year. Office of the Chatelaine will be open in January.

Exchequer: Moira couldn't make it. We still have money, and send all receipts to her. (Kateryn has her address if people need it.)

Quartermaster: We have too much stuff. He's been auditing, and there's lots of extra stff that we don't need and should purge. The 'old' photographic inventory only shows about 1/5 of the contents of the locker. How should we address it? If it hasn't been used in X amount of time it should be pitched or sold? We should pick a day and gather a group of people (including specifically some cooks and some fighters) and go through the locker. Jean will propose some dates for people to get together - need at least three other people. The locker is at 94 and Springdale, near the Majestic movie theater (which is visible from I-94), across from Sam's Club.

Herald: We have a new King and Queen, a new Count and Countess, and a new Black Flame. Only one person in the Barony received an award in Court, which means that people need to submit more award recommendations. Kateryn has created a new border for the website and a scroll, which she brought to show us. It's cool!

Minister of Children: Was surprised at Coronation to only have seven children attend his youth area, and three were his kids. (Would prefer to see a 'daycare' at events, where parents can drop off their kids.) The kids who were there had fun. He has lots of questions regarding the office which he's asked to the Kingdom Youth Minister, and he's waiting for answers. There was lots of interest from the Bayview Bash about kids and youth combat. Note, there is a 'Northshield Parents' email list and facebook page; he will try using and maybe re-building those.

Chronicler: No Tower this month. Articles are due by October 21, but can be sent in any time between now and then. Also, the Northwatch is looking for articles about costuming and rapier for an upcoming issue.

Webminister: Nothing to report. Changeover mostly done.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: We had A&S at Coronation, judged by three random people who had never judged A&S before. Unfortunately this meant no written feedback for the participants, but it was still very well received. Also, got a thank-you letter from the person who won the A&S.

Marshal: All fighting moves indoors now. Sundays from 4-7 at Cardinal Stritch, Tuesdays from 7-11 at Cardinal Stritch, Thursdays from 7-9 at Marquette. The Bash went off well and he has some ideas for improvement next year. Still, there was a crowd watching and maybe we'll get some interest from it. We had 18 fighters at Coronation, which was fewer than we expected but worked with the tournament format.

Archery: Practices move indoors - West Town Archery on Monday nights.

Rapier: Practices more indoors, to Thursdays at Marquette from 7-9. Did you know that we have 11 rapier folks? Guinevre can't make it to Baronial Champs but Don Charismos and a cadet will attend to run rapier activities that day.

Seneschal: First, Fina's "the nature of SCA events" email and Facebook page is going around. Think about what we want our events to look and feel like, and bring that to the Planning Meeting. Do we have enough events? Too many? Should they have a different focus? Second, Her Majesty Luce is scheduling a big Girl Scout Demo in Rochester, MN sometime in 2013. She's looking for teachers. Ask Nikea for more information. Third, Abelard made the compiled Bylaws changes available on the website at http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Newsletter/2012/Bylaws_Consolidated.pdf, with the changes highlighted in this document: http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Newsletter/2012/Bylaws_Compared.pdf. Please review for the Bylaws Meeting. (In case you want them, the Word versions of these are at http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Newsletter/2012/Bylaws_Compared.docx and http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Newsletter/2012/Bylaws_Consolidated.docx.) The Bylaw meeting is scheduled for October 9, 6:30 PM, at Stritch.


Old Business:

Coronation: Got a lot of positive feedback about the event and the site, but negative comments about the signage. (See below.) We also needed an interior map for the site. Apologies for the communication about the cafeteria food which went out too late for many people to see it, but also apologies for the quality of the food. The University people were completely blown away - they said things like 'We didn't know this was possible.' The catering people were thrilled to make our food but complained that they didn't get more time to shop. (They also asked for contact information for at least one of the merchants.) The cleanup staff was very pleased that we did most of the cleanup ourselves. And they were all impressed that the SCA kids were so well-behaved and that they took care of themselves - basically, that they weren't wild animals. We didn't get in trouble for having food at the fundraising table, in fact the University staff bought some of it. Overall people liked the site, though some complained that it was too modern. Still, it was better than the Expo center - didn't feel like a big metal box. (Maybe we can dress the walls with tabbed curtains? And the big painting that Alexander made?) And people thought the event ran smoothly, including the royalty. Even the food was really good, with the possible exception of the leek soup. Question: Why did we change the price for kids at the last minute? Answer: It was suggested that making that change would reduce the cost for kids (don't have to charge them a non-member surcharge if they get in free). It did not go to Stallari and it should have - in the future, be aware that any changes to a Kingdom Event must go through Stallari. (In the event recap report someone should explain why the change was made.) Before we put in the next bid for a Kingdom Event we should review the Stallari guidelines to make sure everyone is clear on them.

Bayview Bash: Reports are basically mixed in with the officer reports. Lots of people stopped in with questions, lots of people said things like 'I hoped you'd be back!'. The volunteers we had worked very well together. The fighting demo was great and everyone had fun. And nobody got hurt. This demo is really starting to pay off. Julianna would like someone else to run it next year, please. (You don't have to be a resident of Bayview to do so.) Question: Can we sell things? Answer: Yes, but the fees and paperwork is different and we'll need a merchant to work with. Perhaps a merchant wants to request the space next to us? There is a facebook page for the Bash with photos. And overall, thanks to everyone who has been working at the demos.

Baronial Champions: Come have fun. Sunday, September 30, Fort Atkinson.

Boar's Head: Will move the planning meeting to a different Sunday. We still have some open offices: Head server, feast hall setup, rapier marshal (Guinevre can coordinate but not be the marshal), children's activity steward (Corydon?), site setup, kitchen cleanup. Theme is Celebration of Travellers. Katerina is working on lots of things. What about a photo booth, portrait photographers, or a 'put your face in this hole and get your picture taken' display? Need a photographer...

Green Knight: Will be a planning meeting after the nuptual madness is over.


New Business:

Bylaw Meeting: Scheduled for Tuesday, October 9, 6:30 PM, at Cardinal Stritch.

Baronial Planning Meeting: Scheduled for Sunday, November 18, 1-4 PM, at Cardinal Stritch.

Demos in 2013: We were missed at the Highland Games and should return in 2013. It's Labor Day weekend, same time as the Harley Davidson 110th birthday. (Theme for Highland Games might be "Our pipes are louder".) Lisbon is having a 'timeline' event in August, 8/17-8/18. It would be great to put together a group. They cover history from Greece through World War II.

Signage: Corydon is in charge of making at least six new signs, probably sandwich boards, maybe also posts with spinny arrows on top. Jean, Albrecht, and Rubyn volunteered to help. The Barony voted to pay for the materials.

Border Skirmish: Ravenslake is in charge this year, but we need a CAM event steward as well. We think you'll be working with Marie.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vintning: Proposed a guild meeting on December 15 at the beachhouse in Menomonee Falls Park, at which people can make meads, cordials, and beer. They requested that the Barony pay the site fee of $65. Voted and approved. This could be the first 'practice night' of many.

Cooking: October 21 at 2 PM at Typhaine and Corydon's house. Theme is Illusion Food. Does the CAM cooking group want to cook a meal at the Bardic and Cooking Symposium?

Stritch: Sunday and Tuesday fighter's practices. At Sunday practices they would like various folks to teach specific thing, not just to have sparring. They have 12 new people interested in their group. They hope to have some 'make and take' meetings, but in any case they will have monthly meetings. Also, people need to sign the new Stritch waiver.

Marquette: Had their first couple meetings and everything's going well. The origami catapults went over very well. They will get back to us with a list of classes they'd like to see. They meet weekly (Mondays).


------------------

10/16/2012

In Attendance: Abelard, Typhaine, Corydon, Geoffrey, Tatianna, Hafgrimm, Jean, Katerina, Julianna, Green Jenny, Rose Marian, Arnbjorn, Alice, Kateryn, Moira, Nikea, Eva, Albrecht, various youth of the Barony


Officer Reports:

Baron and Baroness: Crown was great. Their Majesties are happy with what we're doing with CAM. Thank you for coming to the bylaws meeting. More meetings are on their way!

Chatelaine: The office is open. My deputy (Brithwen) has expressed interest in the position but works a second-shift job and is unable to attend Curia. Would anyone care to be co-Chatelaine with her, or take the office? Will post this to the CAM list as well. Haven't heard back from the contacts we made at the Bayview Bash, which is not uncommon - most of what we get from that event is word of mouth and renewed interest each year. It's an investment. We did hand out half a box of business cards, though, so something should come of it. Side note: Tatiana needs to submit a receipt for the new banner.

Exchequer: We have money. The third quarter report isn't done yet because of a bank error, and we're working with the Kingdom Exchequer on it. Also, we've learned that our bank does not require two signatures on checks though we still require it. To that end, Moira will look into new banks and bring back the results at the next Curia. Moira would also like to get new checks with two signature lines, and possibly print (at the top of the check) 'This check requires two signatures' on them - this will wait until we have the results of her search.

Quartermaster: Would like to clean out the storage locker. There's a bunch of stuff to go through. Curia voted that Jean can sort through the locker and either dispose of things which are not needed or bring them to Boar's Head to put on a table and give away for free. (Examples, soiled fabrics, rusted servingware.)

Herald: Heralded court at Baronial Champions. Herald report will be in the Tower. We have some submissions (names and devices) in process. Please submit award recommendations to Their Excellencies for Yule Moot and to Their Majesties for Boar's Head.

Minister of Youth: Did a demo for a home school group, roughly 40 people. Set up camping stuff and got lots of interest. For Boar's Head he has some things planned but is looking for volunteers to run childrens' activities so that he can fight.

Chronicler: Tower articles are due next Monday (Oct 22). Expect the Tower to come out at the begining of a month instead of at the end.

Webminister: Still learning. The deputies are having fun with code.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: The report from Coronation is in. Read the Tower for more!

Knights Marshal: Practices on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

Archery: October practices are moving to West Town Archery on Thursdays instead of Mondays.

Rapier: Opening the house for rapier-themed movies on Thursday Oct 18 (no practice at Marquette). Found out that we have more authorized rapier fighters than she knew about. Known World Academy of Rapier is coming up. And we have a newly authorized rapier fighter!

Youth Marshal: Working on it. Looking for loaner gear - there's some in the storage locker and some folks in the Barony have some. Will send email.

Seneschal: At the Bylaws Meeting Nikea read a letter from Marwen, which she read to us again. She will share this with anyone who wants to see it, just drop her an email. Here are some ideas and proposals Nikea has:

- Would like to start a 'From the desk of the Seneschal' report once a week, which will include both "boring" stuff (signed a contract with a site) and "interesting" stuff (Moot coming up!). Will try to communicate more in general, but will also need input and feedback.

- We are accepting letters of intent for co-autocrat for Border Skirmish. (Marie is the autocrat from Ravenslake.) We are approved and on the Northshield and Midrealm calendars for the second weekend in June. We'd like to have letters of intent by the November Curia meeting where we can discuss them, and we will then vote (silent ballot) at the December Curia meeting. What are we looking for in this LOI? What ideas you have, what you'd like to accomplish as autocrat, what past experience you have. Feel free to talk to Marie, though make it clear that you're just gathering information and aren't actually the autocrat yet. This is a letter of intent, not a bid. (Don't need to include location, don't need to include budget.)

- Planning meeting: At this meeting we will only establish dates for established events, not who's going to run them. If you have ideas for new events we'd like to see them as bids, so they won't be scheduled at this meeting.

- We should be transparent.


Old Business:

Baronial Champs: It was lovely. The champions are: Archery - Hafgrimm. Heavy weapons - Murdoch. Rapier - Dante. Bardic - Gabrielle Roslyn Morley. It was great. Armand and Gabrielle did a fantastic job.

Boar's Head: Lots of things going on. The website is up to date with changes up through Monday. The feast data is there. Who has the bathroom baskets? The baskets are in the storage locker, but the contents need to be reaquired. Green Jenny is making royalty baskets - please provide her with donations. Currently we expect Their Highnesses and Their Majesties Northshield - we've invited Their Majesties Midrealm and will invite Their Highnesses Midrealm once there are some. Note, communications with Royalty should go through Kateryn. We are having a Queen's Guard rapier event as well as Queen's Guard A&S event, and details will be forthcoming. We believe we have shower access - will verify. We have a lunch caterer who can bring pre-cooked food, thus avoiding potential kitchen overlaps. The caterer will also provide food for the royalty room. We have cancelled the cookie caper. Related note: No outside food. Also, can't use electrical outlets on site. Don't forget to preregister! We will have a competition: Best-dressed male, best-dressed female, best-dressed child, best day camp, most chivalrous. Secret judges will be chosen later. Also, we will have pre-cook days scheduled later.

Green Knight Tournament: Will have a stewards meeting and then a staff meeting after the Boar's Head hullaballoo has died down.

Bylaws Meeting: We got through 2.3 pages, which is pretty awesome. Next meeting is Monday, November 12, location TBD. (Backup location: Corydon and Typhaine's house.) There may be more meetings.

Baronial Planning Meeting: November 18, 1-4 PM, Cardinal Stritch. This meeting will be setting the calendar, not the stewards. After the meeting we will bring it to the Curia for a vote to approve it.

December Curia: Yes, we are having a December Curia at Brookfield.

Yule Moot: Waukesha has raised their rates. Do we still want to have the Yule Moot on January 19 at the Beachhouse for the new cost of $121? Voted yes. Note, this price includes three bundles of firewood because they don't allow people to bring their own firewood anymore.

Note re: reserving sites: Should try to keep Yule Moot in the same calendar year because rates go up. (Can't reserve a January date for the Beachhouse until October, at which point the new rates have been set for the new year.)

Brewing and Vintning Session: Need people to commit to attend. December 15 at the Beachhouse. Rate has increased to $78. Voted to approve the amount. Note, we have permission specifically to do brewing. The contract has been handed off to the Exchequer.


New Business:

Coronation Profit: Profit was $144. We give half to the Kingdom because it was a Kingdom event. Suggestion: Give the other half to the Kingdom as well? Voted, approved. Giving all the profit to Kingdom.

Taxes at Boar's Head: We typically give $250 as taxes at Boar's Head. Should we do this again? Voted, approved.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vintning: See above, having a 'practice session' December 15.

Cooking and Herbal: Illusion food, Sunday, October 21, 2 PM Corydon and Typhaine's. Will also include a discussion about cooking at an upcoming Cooking Symposium and a conversation about a website for the cooking group.

Stritch: Practice on Sundays and Tuesdays, and a Project Day coming up. Exact date TBD.

Marquette: Having practice on Thursdays and classes on Mondays. Had a Project Day which was a success; will have more in the future.


------------------

11/20/2012

In Attendance: Abelard, Akira, Nikea, Eva, Corydon, Ambrose, Gabrielle, Hafgrimm, Typhaine, Albrecht, Mysie, Geoffrey, Moira, Kateryn, Julianna, Green Jenny, Arnbjorn, Corin, Myfanway


Officer Reports:

Baron & Baroness: We got a thank-you letter from Their Majesties. Thank you for attending our extra meetings lately. Please continue to do so - it's important to hear everybody's thoughts on these subjects.

Chatelaine: Office is open as of January Curia.

Exchequer: We have money. We've received some reservations for Boar's Head. Quarterly exchequer report has been filed. Talked to the Kingdom Exchequer about the fact that our bank doesn't check both signatures on our checks, and he said that it's still an SCA requirement but we don't have to change banks to rectify it. Moira would still prefer to order new checks with two signature lines - 400 checks (with duplicate checks and two signature lines) would cost between $100 and $150. Curia voted and approved this purchase.

Quartermaster: Mysie has some donations for the storage locker. Kateryn will take them.

Herald: We need some field heralds for Boar's Head. (We have sufficient court heralds for the event.)

Minister of Children: Nothing to report.

Youth Marshal: Tried to get hold of the Kingdom Youth Combat marshal and hasn't been able to.

Chronicler: Get your reports in for the December Tower - it's not too soon!

Webminister: The website is working. Hafgrimm is the official webminister. If you see something that's broken, please let him know.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: Please let me know what A&S you're doing or have done so that I can report it in the quarterly report. Also, I have a deputy now - Gabrielle!

Knights Marshal: Fighting is still going on. Once the Colleges are closed for winter break we'll have some space at Bucketworks.

Archery: No practice this week. Need to find out if we're back to Mondays in December or still Thursdays.

Rapier: Might be increasing our numbers of rapier fighters! Also, I went to KWAR and had fun and learned stuff!

Seneschal: Thank you for coming to the meetings. We're not done yet! Would like more Seneschal deputies. Remember that the Chiurgeon office is open!


Old Business:

Boar's Head: We have some pre-regged people. More people can pre-reg! Having a short court at 9:45 AM. We'll have five sets of royalty. We also have classes. We've had our last meeting, and things are ticking along. First pre-cook went well. We need lots of retainers - contact Kateryn. We will also need help in kitchen, as well as servers. If you need anything out of the locker, we need to know by Monday December 5. (Email Tatiana or Julianna with these requests.) There will be both heavy and rapier - look at the website for the schedule, but be aware that it might change. We will also distribute an exit survey (both on paper and electronically) to gather feedback from this year's event and help plan for next year.

Green Knight Tournament: The planning group will get together at Arnbjorn's next Tuesday (Nov 27) to work out some details, and there will be a larger meeting in the new year.

Bylaws Meeting: Went through the officer changeover process. We'll be posting notes and ongoing changes, but not the 'live' document until it's finished. The next meeting will be Sunday, December 16, 4-7PM, at Corydon and Typhaine's.

Brewing and Vinting Meeting: December 15, Menomonee Park Beach House. More details will be sent on the CAM email list.

Yule Moot: We'll have dancing and more! More details will be sent on the CAM email list.


New Business:

Letters of Intent/Bids for Border Skirmish: Annetje submitted a letter of intent, and Ambrose and Gabrielle intend to submit a letter of intent. We will vote at the December Curia meeting. Letters of Intent will be posted to Officers and CAM email lists.

Baronial Calendar Meeting: See notes. We need a location for January Curia (maybe Marquette). We also need to find a library or other meeting location, or another Brookfield resident to reserve the Brookfield Library while Alice goes through her move. Hafgrimm will look into the March Curia meeting at his son's high school on Walnut. If you want to steward or autocrat a moot, be aware that the dates are not locked in stone. We voted to accept these moots and events.

Boar's Head 2013: We had a long discussion about Boar's Head 2013.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vintning: Come to the making session on December 15.

Cooking Guild: We had a cooking day, it was great. The next meeting will be in January, theme will be 'main course with chocolate, not desserts'.

Stritch: Practice on Sunday after Thanksgiving. Next semester will include classes on Sundays. We will have a project day early in the semester. We invite CAM folks to come speak to the club at one of their regular meetings. Campus will be dark from December 14 until January 20.

Marquette: Monday (Nov 26) they're making Christmas cards. Campus will be dark between December 15 and January 14.


Planning Meeting:

Here is the proposed Baronial event calendar for next year:

January 19: Yule Court - Menomonee Park Beach House- Lady Katerina Unru - moot steward

February 17: Curia Pot Luck Moot: Steward & Location TBD

March:

April:

May 5: Spring Court- Steward and Location TBD- Moot bid due by February Curia

June 7-9: Border Skirmish- Applications for CAM steward due at November 20, 2012 Curia meeting

July:

August 9: Legendary Cook-out- Steward and Location TBD- Moot bid due by May Curia

August 31-Sept 1- Wisconsin Highland Games Demo- Waukesha Expo Center- Demo coordinator needed

September 28: Baronial Championships and Michaelmas Court- Steward and Location TBD- Moot bid due by March Curia

October:

November:

December 7: annual winter event (tentative)

December 15: Yule Court- Steward and Location TBD- Moot bid due by June Curia

Moots:

If you wish to steward a moot, please submit a bid that includes a proposed venue, costs, and description of activities. There are 4 months that currently do not have anything scheduled. A fall curia pot luck (in September, October, or November) has also been suggested.

Curia Locations:

January curia will not be at CSU, need a location. Maybe Marquette?

February Curia will be at Curia Pot Luck meeting, at a location to be determined.

All members are encouraged to check out their local libraries, and other public areas, in which to hold Curia and other meetings.

We are looking for another Brookfield resident, who can act as a back-up library contact for Baroness Alice.

Events:

If you are interested in the Barony hosting a Kingdom event (Coronation, Crown, SUN, Bardic Madness, Heralds & Scribes, etc..), or a new local event, please submit a proposal/bid to curia. Proposals and/or bids should be in line with our establish event guidelines.



------------------

12/18/2012

In Attendance: Akira, Abelard, Julianna, Corydon, Myfanwy, Typhaine, Corin, Arnbjorn, Nikea, Albrecht, Gabrielle, Green Jenny, Moira, Kateryn, Tatianna, Mysie, Dahrien


Officer Reports:

Opening Comments: Please save Boar's Head discussions until the end.

Baron and Baroness: Boar's Head was great, but we'll talk about that at the end. Please send award recommendations for Yule Moot - due to a computer malfunction, previous recommendations were lost so please re-send the ones you've already sent as well as some new ones. The bylaws meetings have been very productive, and kudos to Nikea for her efficiency.

Chatelaine: The office is officially open. There are no letters of intent. The deputies are not able to take this position. Webminister will change the Chatelaine web page to note that the office is open and point Chatelaine email address to Seneschal. FYI, there's lots of loaner garb. It's been cleaned out and sorted through and filtered, and there's still lots of it. Not much for men, not much for larger people, but lots of good, quality garb. If you want to pick through it, please speak with Nikea. Note, some of it could be repurposed...

Exchequer: The new checks are ordered, which includes new deposit slips, for a total of $180. We have money in the bank. Boar's Head is mostly closed out. (Should be complete by the end of the Curia meeting.)

Quartermaster: No report.

Herald: People received awards at Boar's Head, so congratulations! Read the Tower for more. The herald year-end report is complete.

Minister of Children: Nothing to report.

Chronicler: Articles are due on January 5 for next Tower. Please send articles and pictures. Remember, officers are expected to report. Received a Blackfox award for the Tower, but it's really for the Barony - Tatianna will try to include an image of the certificate in the Tower.

Webminister: New google calendar at http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Calendar/2013.php - please send comments to Abelard, Dahrien, or Hafgrimm (or to the office at webminister@caeranterth.org).

A&S: We have awesome A&S. Read the Tower for more!

Knights Marshal: Colleges are closed until mid-January. (Marquette: 1/21, Stritch: 1/22.) Akira is working with Bucketworks to set up a relationship between CAM and BW for practices - first practice at this site is Thursday Dec 20. We have access to a large garage area and exercise area. We should be able to set up exercise and training equipment so we can mix it up; will set up a training program including stretching, yoga, etc. Possibly we can set up an arrangement like the old key site through fighter donations. Probably enough space for both heavy and rapier. There is money set aside for this kind of endeavor in the Baronial accounts. This will be a more permanent site so that we always have a place to come back to when the colleges aren't available. Also, turned in KM report to the Kingdom Officers.

Archery: Continues to be Thursdays at West Town Archery. We have loaner equipment!

Rapier: Thursday nights will be sewing at Green Jenny's house to make new rapier gear, but will switch to Bucketworks if it's available.

Youth: No new information.

Seneschal: There's stuff coming up. Please try to attend. Happy holidays!

Chiurgeon: Office is open.


Old Business:

Green Knight Tournament: We met! We issued a formal challenge at Boar's Head Court! We'll meet again in January.

Bylaws: We got through all five pages of the existing bylaws document. Next meeting we will discuss addendums. Next meeting is January 27 at Randall's from 12-3. (His place is smoke-free and pet-free.) If you need a ride, please ask on the CAM list. If you can't make it but have input, please send that input to the Seneschal, Baron, and/or Baroness and they'll make sure it gets read in. [There followed a discussion about lack of communication and miscommunication on the CAM list.]

Brewing and Vintning Practice Session: Jean sent a report which will be printed in the Tower. We made a Sahti beer, an English brown ale, ginger beer, juniper berry cordial, and others. We'll have the Sahti at the Yule Moot. Brewing by firelight was awesome.

Yule Moot: More information in the Tower and on Facebook page. Lots of stuff planned. January 19 at Menomonee Park Beach House!

Border Skirmish: Letters of Intent for co-steward due at this meeting. Annetje will be co-steward (with Marie from Ravenslake) and Ambrose and Gabrielle will be deputies.


New Business:

Special note: Treegirtsea 12th Night is in a new location.

Next Curia will be 1/15 in Brookfield, then 2/17 will be the Curia Moot. Need a location. March will be 3/19 at Stritch.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vinting: Set up a facebook page (Beer and Mead Creation) - ask Katerina and Jean to get access.

Cooking: Will get together January 13. Theme is 'Chocolat' - dinner foods made with chocolate. (You can look up 'Chocolat scene' on youtube for more information.)

Herbal group: On hold until March or April. Alice gave Nikea a ginger plant and a rosemary plant which she's looking forward to harvesting.

Stritch: Closed until January 20. First practice will be January 22.

Marquette: Closed until January 15. First practice will be January 21.

Boar's Head Discussion Part 1: Recap:

Receipts are turned in, as far we know. (We received the last site bill today.) We had a profit. 467 people, 93 at feast, 28 merchant spaces. Recommendation: Don't use the Waukesha Expo Center again because they're expensive and they nickel and dime us. There were conflicts in the kitchen because the caterer and our feast team shouldn't have been in the same space. The merchant coordinator should do merchant pre-reg, the troll coordinator should handle the rest of pre-reg. We feel that it was very successful. Feast was phenomenal. The fighters all went home tired. Fighting space was too small, but we worked with what we had available. A&S was amazing. The merchants did well (except one). Rapier looked great. Classes were great. Liked the site for the layout, it's just the office people that are a problem. The Baron and Baroness thanked the staff. Feast, A&S fighting - all the feedback was positive. The ship was awesome. The staff was stellar. It ran very smooth. We might have had people sitting feast who did not pay. We need to be aware that this is happening - need to check their feast tokens. Can we post a standard pre-reg form on our website? (Yes.) Perhaps in the future we can put a link to the pre-reg form in the invitation email? Also, we should promote ACCEPS so that we can accept credit/debit card payments in advance. We should send a letter to the County to let them know about our experiences. The only people who complained to the autocrats were staff. Now, should we hold it next year?

Boar's Head Discussion Part 2: Future:

The chivalry think highly of the event. This used to be known as one of the tournaments to get noticed by the chiv. 5 pairs of royalty was a good draw. People liked it, but people would also like to steal the weekend. What do we want it to be? It's an anchor event for the Kingdom. Summary: Nobody wants to get rid of it. So, do we make it smaller or larger? Both expo centers are awful for fighting because of the floors - but most spaces have floors that can be damaged. We can't afford to replace a location's floor if it gets ripped apart by armor. Many sites will either refuse us or charge lots of extra money if we want to hold fighting there. Maybe we can look at cardboard floors or rubber mats, like Nordskogen uses? Corydon, Typhaine, Corin, and Myfanway looked at Tripoli Shrine last night. It's gorgeous. The site fee is higher ($3500), but needs clarification. Almost everything is included in that price: the whole building, 250 car parking lot, concession stand, bar, classrooms, tables, chairs, feast, 500 seat banquet hall. We don't have to do cleanup. They already hold martial arts events there, and they are familiar with heavy fighting in the SCA. They have a 'no weapons' policy which would prevent rapier - but it may be possible to demonstrate that this is sporting equipment and not actually weapons. We would need to get in our reservations very quickly, and need to have an event steward, and can't take bids until we know answers to the questions. To that end, mount another expedition. We need to run another survey to determine the 'sacred cows'. "What must be there for you to attend?" Possibly send it to all of Northshield. Will discuss the results at next Curia.



1 view