Search

Curia Notes 2014

1/21/2014

In Attendance: Cecilia, Siri, Tatiana, Teb, Julianna, Saphira, Hamish, Abelard, Arnbjorn, Nikea, Catherine, Typhaine, Kateryn, Asabella, Myfanwy, Corin, Dahrien

Officer Reports:

Baroness: Slightly harmed (broke her foot). Is going to Flesh Wound - travelling with Teb, who is a new fighter.

Exchequer: We have money. We're set up with the scrip program - will send in an order once we have enough requests to pay for shipping. You can see the sheets at <a href="http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Library/scrip1.pdf">http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Library/scrip1.pdf</a> and <a href="http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Library/scrip2.pdf">http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Library/scrip2.pdf</a>, and you can go to scrip.com to see the overall list of what is available. Moira is having computer issues and will let us know when she's totally back. Did submit her Domesday.

Herald: Took a deputy (Signora Beatrice). Hoping to attend the Heraldic and Scribes event in April in Windhaven. If you need any help with researching names or creating a device/coat of arms, feel free to ask.

Minister of Children: Nothing to report.

Chronicler: Should we go back to a monthly Tower? Discussion: Hard to get people to report or write articles every month, let alone every two months. When it's every two months it's hard to remember to get it done; if it's every month it's easier to regulate. Hard to think of things to write about every month. Motion to do monthly and get reports in, voted and passed. Will check in six months to see how it's doing. Articles/Reports are due on Sunday, 1/26.

Webminister: Hafgrimm will remain in his office and intends to file an extension for another year. Otherwise, we have a website and everything's working.

Minister of Arts and Sciences: Reported to Kingdom. Will be teaching at SUN. If you're working on anything related to the arts and sciences, please let her know.

Knights Marshal: Abelard looked at a possible fighting space, which we'll discuss later. Looked at the Marian Center yesterday. We set up a Facebook page (SEWAC: <a href="https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/719956424682003/">https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/719956424682003/</a>) and a google calendar (<a href="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=hamish266663%40gmail.com&ctz=America%2FChicago">https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=hamish266663%40gmail.com&ctz=America%2FChicago</a>) for discussions and planning practices. Some of the more venerable fighters of the group, such as Andrew Greencloak, have joined the Facebook page. People are talking there - it seems to be a hit. We're hoping it continues to go well. We went through the storage room at Marquette and threw some things out, sorted some things, and discovered lots of good armor. We're talking to others about adding to it, as well. We'd like someone in the fiber arts community - possibly Asabella, as the Chatelaine - to go through the five bins of fabric and decide what's worth keeping and what isn't. Next month's Curia meeting is at 7 in the Physics building - let's meet at 6 to go through the storage room. By then we should be able to answer the question of 'Does this belong to the Barony or the Marquette group, since the Marquette group appears to be defunct.' Possibly some of the materiel can be auctioned, with the profits going to the Marquette group, if it still exists?

Archery: Many archery-appropriate things have been shot at, and no one has been hurt. Practice continues at Gander Mountain in Brookfield on Mondays.

Rapier: Practices continue. No-one has died. Looking forward to finding a new combined site.

Youth Combat: Nothing to report.

Chatelaine: Lots of email. Someone reported that they recently moved here from another Kingdom, attended Boar's Head and felt like an outsider. By contrast, she also received an email from another person from another Kingdom who has gushed about how welcome she feels. Please make a point to be nice to new people; if you see someone sitting alone for a long time, maybe go up and talk to them. Especially at Boar's Head, where we're the hosts. We are all Chatelaines, all of us. Hoping to set up something with the retirement community - expanding a demo or moot to include the families of that community.

Seneschal: Received two letters of intent for Minister of Arts and Sciences: Nikea and Druscilla. Next month we invite them to Curia to introduce themselves and participate in a Q&A session. Note: Nikea has now withdrawn, but we still want to have a Q&A with Druscilla.

Chiurgeon: The BOD is considering dropping the Chiurgeonate based on legal counsel - currently accepting comments at sca.org. If you have comments on this, please make them known.


Old Business:

Boar's Head 2014: December 5/6 are on hold at the Washington County Fairgrounds.

Border Skirmish: Keiley is the Ravenslake steward. She likes Nikea's ideas. They will meet and plan a full staff meeting. Nikea's ideas revolve around the questions Who are you, Where did you come from, and How did you get here? Cooking challenge. B&V challenge. Scribal challenge. Youth stuff. And the usual. So far we have a person in charge of pre-reg, and a person in charge of the potluck. Will post a list of open positions, so please volunteer. Remember, we are lead this year - we are primarily responsible for staffing and running the event, with supplemental help from Ravenslake. The status of the equestrian rental is still up in the air - the County Fair folks aren't sure yet if we can use the equestrian area because someone else has a prior claim for that weekend, but if we can't have it we'll be compensated some other way. (Reminder, we did a demo at their County Fair last summer in exchange for free use of the equestrian area this year.)

Zip Code update: The Stallari Council decided that the zip code 53095 should be part of the Shire of Turn an Dem See. We can write a contract to give ourselves rights to use the Washington County Fair Park for events with let or hindrance and without having to pay 'rent' to TADS. We'd like to ask an attorney to look at the language as well. Note, this has caused some tension - let's remember that we're all friends here. Additional note, this is happening in other parts of the Kingdom as well - apparently a cartography snafu has ceded zip codes to multiple groups at the same time.

Possible new fighting space: Redeemer Lutheran Church, Wisconsin and 19th, is a big church with lots of space. They have a large gymnasium/auditorium that we can rent for $25 per hour for fighter's practices on weeknights. We have their permission to fight in this space as well. No decision was made at this time.

Marian Center Walkthrough: Nikea and Dahrien both took photos and posted them. <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/46790432@N06/sets/72157639988949735/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/46790432@N06/sets/72157639988949735/</a> and <a href="http://caeranterth.org/Calendar/sites/marian_center.php">http://caeranterth.org/Calendar/sites/marian_center.php</a>. We would pay $248 per month to become members, which gets us a storage/office space (possibly on the first floor) and the ability to rent available rooms for $25 apiece. This would potentially replace the storage locker, give us a space to meet for Curia, and possibly give us a fighter's practice location; the site could also possibly be used for events such as Boar's Head. We can use the 'terrazzo' space on Thursdays and Sunday afternoons (after 3 PM) for fighter's practice, though that kind of floor is extremely slippery when wet and might not be safe. (The floors are made of small, hard clay tiles.) Available spaces are a gymnasium, auditorium, Home Ec kitchen, main kitchen, gym balcony open space, auditorium open space, Fifth floor hallway (for archery practice).The price for these rooms is $25 per location per event, except the gym (which is $100 per event) and the auditorium (which is negotiable and capped at $250 per event). Note, 'an event' could be an evening fighter's practice or a Friday (setup)/Saturday for Boar's Head. The Home Ec kitchen has six countertop stove units and one refrigerator, but we can rent additional refrigerators. Tables are available to rent at $2.50 and chairs are $.50 each. The prospect of having all of the dishes stored on-site in a vermin-free environment is very nice for the woman who washes every dish before an event. Note: They are anticipating developing this space - maybe - in 2015, and if that goes through they will convert two of the three buildings to housing. (Renters would move into the third building.) If the site goes away in a year, we would have to find a new space for storage, meetings, and fighting again, but at least it gives us a year of breathing space. We should be able to hold Boar's Head at this space for under $1000, as opposed to at Washington County for $3-4000. We ought to do a cost/benefit analysis. We will meet again to do a second walkthrough on February 1 at Noon - meet on Superior at the second entrance (not the first where the gate is). After the walkthrough we will go to the St Francis Brewery (or another location to be determined later) to discuss. We can then put the numbers in front of the Barony.


New Business:

Storage Locker: We need to pay the storage locker, which is overdue. We had been waiting to pay pending the results from the Marian Center, but we should pay for the next six months. We voted, and voted yes.

2014 Calendar: Let's plan the dates for 2014 on the CAM email list, and bring the results to February Curia.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vintning Guild: People are brewing and vintning.

Cooking and Herbal Guild: February 23, Corydon and Typhaine's house. Theme is Camping Food. You can arrive as early as 2 PM, we'll start cooking at 4 PM.

Calligraphy and Illumination Guild: Met, and will plan another meeting.

Clothiers Guild: February 22, Bayview Library, from 2-4:45 PM.

Dance Guild: January 23, meeting at Longstride Manor (Kateryn's house). This meeting will be a discussion about what people want to do at a dance guild practice.



--------------------

2/18/2014

In Attendance: Attendees: Kateryn, Mysie, Beatrice, Magnus, Nikea, Asabella, Arnbjorn, Karl, Rhys, Hamish, Drusilla, Paul, Eva, Katlin, Murdoch, Cecillia, Moria, Julianna, Saphira, Annetje, Hieronymus, Dahrien. Notes taken by Arnbjorn.


MOAS Q&A: (Due to Drusilla needing to leave early, the Q&A for MOAS was held first.)

Why does she want to be MOAS of CAM? I am comfortable with CAM and has considered CAM for her home group for the past two years.

What are your goals in office? To work with the other officers where duties overlap with MOAS, and find out how MOAS can help other officers.

With the hour long commute from Sheboygan, how to you plan to attend curia and other officer meetings? Possibly Skype or telephoning in when I can't come in person. Possibly use proxies. I hope to have 2-3 deputies.

What are your strengths and challenges? Strengths: Intelligence, enthusiasm, abundance of creativity. Challenges: Intelligence, enthusiasm, abundance of creativity. And being crazy.

Motion was made to abbreviate the appointment process. Motion passed.

Motion was made to approve Drusilla's appointment, effective May 2014. Motion passed.


Officer Reports:

Baroness: Many hands make light work- many positions are still open for Border Skirmish. CAM is the lead group. Proposed Calendar to be discussed after Marian Center discussion.

Chancellor of Exchequer: Balance: $17,876.52. Scrip is open. Electronic withdraw for Scrip has been set-up, can get cards within a business week of order. No letters of intent submitted for CoE. Moria asked for a one-year extension. Extension approved.

Quartermaster: Office open. No letters of intent received.

Herald- Beatrice, deputy herald, serving as proxy- Abelard is working on registering CAM awards & orders. Working on establishing consultation times, possibly with C&I.

Minister of Youth: no report from Corydon. Nikea reported that Northhshield is a two month test kingdom for the YAFA program, which will gather mentors for children to work on projects. Badges will be given for completion. Mentors will not need the background check, but either the parent or someone with an active background check will need to be present.

Chronicler: Great turn-out for submissions for the February Tower. The deadline for the March Tower is 2/23/14. Read the Tower.

Web Minister: Dahrien reporting as deputy- We have a website. People can submit online CAM directory profiles at: http://caeranterth.northshield.org/Directory/submission.php .

MOAS: No report.

Knights Marshal: Practices are going very well at the Airsoft location, found through the efforts of Murdoch & Randall. Sir Andrew Greencloak has been coming to practices to mentor. Rhys & Karl are two of the newest armored fighters. The armored combat corps is growing. Talking with Aryeton about a joint practice near the state line. Staying with one practice per week now.

Archery Captain: Practices on Mondays at Gander Mtn. No one has died or been wounded. Holding a Winter Shoot on 3/10.

Rapier Captain: Eva reporting as proxy: Practices on Thursdays at the Glendale Synagogue. Space is too small to hold more than rapier practice. Albrecht looking into possibly moving practice to Airsoft, which as room for both practices.

Youth Combat: no report from Corydon. Hamish is looking into AC combat rules for 16-17 year olds (have two teenagers who are interested).

Chatelaine: Working on demo stuff. Contacted the Midwinter Gaming Con about having a booth there next year. Waiting to hear from them. Looking at organizing another demo at the Southshore Park Farmer's Market later this spring/summer. Katlin mentioned that the LARPers are holding an event this weekend at the Airsoft location. People are welcome to hang-out/help-out at her booth there.

Seneschal: received the 2014 general insurance certificate.

Chirurgeon: Still vacant.


Old Business:

Washington County Fair Park: Motion made and approved to hold Boar's Head 2014 at the WCFP.

Border Skirmish: Budget was approved by the Finance Committee. Full report will be in the Tower.

Open Positions: Chancellor of the Exchequer (extension approved) and Quartermaster.

Marian Center: Finance Committee recommendation: The barony should rent a 10x10 room for officer & meeting space from March 1- June 1, then transfer to a 320 sq ft room, to be used as storage and meeting space, after storage locker lease expires on July 1. If the recommendation was adopted, Moria and Tomas offered to pay the difference in rent between the 100 sq ft room and the 320 sq ft room for March-May. Cecilla offered to donate $15 per month as well. The Marian Center will guarantee the lease through 2015.

Questions and concerns included: concerns about only have the Marian Center less than 2 two years and would the 320 sq' room be big enough for storage and meeting space (this was a major point of discussion). There were also questions of access to the Marian Center. Seneschal would have a key. Barony would have to determine who else got keys.

Concerns about staying with the current storage locker included lack of lights and climate control, and possibility of pests. Pests would just as likely be problem at the Marian Center. Storage at the Marian Center would keep property in climate control lit area, making inventory easier.

Annetje made suggestion of keeping equipment used for outdoor events (such as carport, grills, etc.) in a smaller storage locker, and keep the indoor event property (mostly feast related) in the 320 sq' room.

Motion was made to adopt the Finance Committee recommendation. Motion failed.

Motion was made to refer the Marian Center back for further review. Motion passed.


New Business:

Bardic Madness: 3 bids have failed and a fourth one is opposite a Midrealm bardic event. Eva, Annteje, and Dahrien submitted a proposal for CAM to submit a bid host Bardic Madess on April 26, 2014 at the East Troy Girl Scout camp. Proposal suggests reserving the lodge and two bunk houses for $650. Reserving space for camping raises cost to around $800. With a $10 site fee and approx. attendance of 100-1500, bringing in $1000-$1500, site is more than covered. Katlin and Hamish will prepare a simple feast. Motion was made for the barony to submit a bid, pending approval of the finance committee. Motion passed.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewers & Vinters: Still drinking, still making beverages.

Cooking Group: Meeting this Sunday (2/23) at Typhaine's. Theme is camp food.

Herbal Group: on hiatus. Nikea is making herbal remedies for the family.

Calligraphy & Illumination: Meeting on Wednesday (2/19), planning on meeting 1st & 3rd Wednesdays. Looking into alternative location, other than Marquette. Airsoft is currently too dusty, but that may change in the future. Joanne Fabrics may have space available for crafting groups.

Clothier Guild: Meeting on Saturday (2/22) at Bayview Library, 2-4:45pm.

Dance Guild: Meeting on Thursday (2/27) at Longstride, 7-8:30 pm. Beatrice is teaching English Country Dance.


--------------------


3/18/2014

In Attendance: Arnbjorn, Abelard, Constans, Thamar, Cecilia, Eva, Hamish, Siri, Kateryn, Alice, Magnus, Asabella, Dahrien, Sofonisba (Remote)


Officer Reports:

Baroness: We have new people this week who moved here recently from Mistig Waetru: Constans and Thamar. Welcome!

Exchequer: We had expenditures this month, most notably reservations for Washington County (Boar's Head site), Walworth County (Border Skirmish site), and Girl Scouts of Wisconsin (Bardic Madness site). Scrip orders are always welcome - please visit the information on the website and purchase some. The financial committee met online and approved the Bardic Madness financial bid (with the addition of a youth fee). Note regarding bids: While Curia approves an event bid, the financial committee approves the financial part of a bid. This is a two-step process, and the second step is still new for us. We need to publish the signatory information in order to change the checking account, as stated here: Kingdom of Northshield Exchequer: Elizabeth Jensen; Barony of Caer Anterth Mawr Seneschal: Carol Yanke; Barony of Caer Anterth Exchequer: M. Kay Roberts; Barony of Caer Anterth Officer: Paul Knappenberger. We voted on this and it was approved.

Quartermaster: Office is open, but we have two applicants: THL Nikea and Lord Magnus. At the April Curia we will have a Q&A session for them. Note: Kateryn has done research into storage lockers in the area and has provided this information to folks at Curia.

Herald: Please contact me if you want help with your name and/or device.

Minister of Children: No report.

Chronicler: The April Tower is coming up. Submissions are due Sunday, 3/23. Two questions for the populace (which will also be posted on the email list): Would people rather receive the newsletter via email ('pushed' to them) or continue to view it on the website ('pulled')? It will still be posted on the website and Facebook in either case. Question: Would people like to have an index of articles? Eva has volunteered to scan old newsletters for archival purposes. Note, we need permission to re-print these. Eva will also start tracking people down to obtain permission.

Webminister: Make sure to tell webminister if you want information about upcoming events disseminated on the website, calendar, etc. What, where, and when. If nobody tells the webminister, there's no guarantee that the information will be posted.

MoAS: No report.

Knights Marshal: We had some information on the website which wasn't up to date, and that was as much the officer's fault as the webminister. All officers, please make a note to look at your pages and make sure your information is up to date. Social media is helping us - if you want access to our heavy weapons page on Facebook, let Hamish know. We had 23 people at practice a couple weeks ago, more than half of whom were in armor. We have seven new fighters, most wearing Baronial loaner armor. Will add a second, maybe a third, weekly practice when the weather gets nice.

Archery: Planning the archery portion of Border Skirmish, working with HRH Elizabeth's people to have a Royal Champion shoot. Arnbjorn will be MIC. Looking forward to practicing outdoors again.

Rapier: Moving slowly to the Airsoft Arena on Thursday nights to have a unified practice site again.

Chatelaine: Life is busy - buying a house. Needs a deputy - please contact her if interested.

Seneschal: Went to the Border Skirmish meeting. It's moving along. Looking forward to it. Volunteer! Bardic Madness is also moving along.

Chiurgeon: We don't know the status, but today was the last day to submit feedback regarding the position in the SCA.


Guilds and Groups:

Brewing and Vintning: They're drinking.

Cooking and Herbal: They're eating.

Calligraphy and Illumination: Moving to Thursday nights at the Airsoft Arena, in the hallway (not in the fighting hall).

Clothier's Guild: Third meeting is this week at Beatrice's house, 3/29, 2-4:45 PM. This session will be a lecture on medieval undergarments, and the next meeting will focus on making medieval undergarments. The guild intends to continue this pattern (lecture, make, lecture, make...) until they assemble entire outfits from the inside out.

Dance Guild: Meeting next Thursday, 3/27, 7-8:30 PM, at Longstride Manor. Focusing on Persian women's dance. Will also be setting new dates and topics at that meeting. Also doing something at Border Skirmish.


Old Business:

Border Skirmish: We're doing a little bit of everything - raffle, heavy weapons, rapier, archery, food, drink, hafla, quaveh, beanbag toss, coursing, equestrian... If you want to volunteer, speak to Nikea.

Bardic Madness: It proceeds. Hope to have nice weather so we can have a fire outdoors. Need six volunteers for kitchen staff. Looking for people or groups to provide non-feast meals - talk to Eva or Annetje. Need help at gate. Note for future events: This site has an archery range.

Marian Center: We have a letter from the Marian Center regarding what we need to provide in order to apply, and there's a bunch of information and materiel which we may not have. The question of whether or not we move there may be moot.


New Business:

Proposed amendment to bylaws: "Upon receiving a request for a budget approval, the financial committee will communicate their decision, or need for further information, to the steward(s) within two weeks. When further information is provided, the financial committee will notify the steward(s) within one week of receiving the new information." The group discussed this, and made several comments; ultimately the Curia did not vote on this question and the tone of the conversation implied that it is not needed. Some additional notes from the conversation: Financial committee meetings are not 'closed door' meetings and anyone can attend, but only the members of the committee can vote on matters. Autocrats can be invited to these meetings. Electronic meetings for simple requests are acceptable.

Directory: Arnbjorn will contact people to make changes to the directory, including removing people who may not wish to be there anymore.

Deadlines for Boar's Head bids: May Curia

Upcoming Moots: We need stewards and locations for Baronial Champions and Spring Court. Sofonisba w